Time to buy a jointer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
A little extra cash came my way, so it's time to finally get a jointer. I think I've decided on an 8" Delta DJ20. Anybody have any thoughts on that model? Looks like I can get one on sale at Woodworker's Supply with a free mobile base. The LOML says it's ok, so I'm gettin' while the gettin's good! :-D

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Just do it, man! If you need a little more "bread" for the purchase, I'd be happy to relieve you of that Makita drill!! You KNOW the one!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the DJ-20 with the Delta mobile base. Overall, it has been a good purchase.

Don't buy the Delta dust collection hook up. IIRC, it was $30 extra for a piece of tin with a 5" hole in it. Just buy a plastic hook up for whatever size you need.

The fence does have some flex with heavy lumber. I read in advance this was the case from a review on Amazon and didn't believe it until I saw it for myself.

Other than that, no complaints, no issues. You won't regret it.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Have a friend in Hickory who has one that is about 1 1/2 years old. Has a Byrd head on it and he has the regular factory head also. The Byrd head is really nice, I think it was about $500. He has it up for sale! He is buying a bigger one! Think he is asking $1500. Have no ideal if that is a good buy or not. I have used it, it's nice! I just don't have the funding for it! Just have to keep my little Powermatic 6"!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Bob,

I think that Woodworkers Supply in Graham is having a sale this weekend. They were offering 15% of all Delta products on 11/9-11/10.

Good Luck,
Jimmy:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Go for it Bob! I hope to make it to the WWS sale tomorrow. If you haven't already, see if they will let you sign up for the "Pro" discount online . . . might save another 2-6%. Of course, I'm not sure that discount is any different from TWA or NCWWer one :eusa_thin Whatever, they will add it in :-D

WWS Email:
Our annual Veteran's Day Weekend Sale is here. Mark your calendar for November 9th and 10th. There are great savings to take advantage of such as:

$10-$50 OFF Selected BOSCH products
$100 OFF Selected Workbenches
15% OFF DELTA®, DeWalt® and Porter-Cable®
20% OFF All Hitachi® Power Tools
10% or more OFF All Woodtek® Products
Free Universal Mobile Base with Purchase of any Powermatic® or Jet® Floor Standing Machine
And many more in-store specials...
These deals are good only in stores and for this weekend only.

Happy tool hunting,
Roger

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
If you've got LOMLs OK, go for it. Brownie points no mater how they are earned don't have a long shelf life. I don't think you'll regret the 8 incher I wish I had got one instead of a 6" one.

Nativespec

New User
David
Personally, I think they are overpriced when compared to some of the other brands. The dovetail type work well and once I set mine to take about a 1/16" or less, there is no reason to adjust it. I bought a used Sunhill 8" recently off of Craigs List for $375.

I had a chance to buy one new off of Amazon for $1,050 shipped-I still could not justify it.

David

Inflatable Screen Door

New User
David Maida
Personally, I think they are overpriced when compared to some of the other brands. The dovetail type work well and once I set mine to take about a 1/16" or less, there is no reason to adjust it. I bought a used Sunhill 8" recently off of Craigs List for $375.

I had a chance to buy one new off of Amazon for $1,050 shipped-I still could not justify it.

David

I have to agree on the over priced comment. You can get a fat grizzly 8" with the spiral cutter for the same price. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0593

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Stick with the DJ20 over the Grizzly, you get what you pay for. Griz has good customer service and you need it. When you have to replace a 500 or 600 lb machine, they'll just send you a new one . But they won't help you get the old out or the new one in, and they definitely won't help assemble or clean the 2nd one either. So there goes another 10 hours and a bunch more favors owed to people who have to help you again. If you don't think this happens then buy a Grizzly and hope that you're not in that 20% of purchasers.

Bob,

Buy a good name or buy used and good luck.

Jimmy:)

J

jeff...

Heck if the LOYL say go - then go man - what'cha waiting for a mood swing?

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Thanks for the great advice guys. Especially the part about the mood swing, Jeff :lol:.

I'm a name brand junkie... I know, I know... they're probably built in the same factory and painted with the same lead paint and all, but I can't help myself. Anyway, the color scheme will match my Delta bandsaw ;-).

I'm headed to WWS in the morning, if I can get away with sneaking into work late :-D. If all goes well I'll post pics this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS