The 72 hour workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I finished my workbench last week. Haven't had time to take pictures between stuffing my face, making the stuff to stuff my face, and unwrapping presents.

I based it on two plans from Popular Woodworking, basically combining the 24 hour workbench with the slab from the fancier one. I have no idea how many hours I put into this thing, but triple seems about right. It's all Southern Yellow Pine, made by ripping down 2x8's from the BORG. Finished with a couple of coats of BLO and paste wax. I made the mobile base by Frankensteining parts from two Portamate bases (the $30 ones from the BORG). I needed two extra long rails, which works out well since the other base will be used for my drill press. The short rails are sufficient for that.

Originally, I wasn't going to put anything on the forum until I read a post elsewhere about someone ready to throw in the towel. He had made a series of mistakes, and decided maybe woodworking wasn't for him. Ha! If you ever feel that way, send me a PM and I'll make you feel like a genius! From the highlight reel:

(1) When measuring for the location of the nut (for the bench bolt), measure either from the end of the tenon, or from the start of the rail, but not at random. Unless you want to learn how to cut a 1" plug to correct your mistake.

(2) When calculating the height of your workbench, don't forget to add in the height of your mobile base, or you'll be trimming the bottom of the legs. When trimming, try to keep the saw straight, so that you don't end up with three legs 31" and one 30 7/8"

(3) When shimming a leg cut short by 1/8", GLUE THE SHIM TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LEG. Not the top. Yes, it's easy to lose track of what goes where as you're rotating the frame, but this is important. Otherwise, you end up having to cut off the shim, cut a new shim, and glue it in the correct spot.

(4) Read the instructions when installing your vise.

The only thing that went exceptionally well was drilling the holes for the bench dogs and holdfasts. I used a plunge router to drill the first inch, then finished it with a spade bit (with extension). I clamped a piece of scrap to the bottom to prevent tearout.

The funny thing is, after it's all said and done, I'm exceptionally pleased how it turned out, despite the endless list of things that went wrong. It's heavy enough not to move when planing/ sawing/ chiseling, but light enough I can move it around. Already made a couple of gouges, so I no longer have any hangups of tossing tools onto it or slipping with a screwdriver.

Attachments

• workbench_sideview.jpg
    workbench_sideview.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 282
  • workbench_frontview.jpg
    workbench_frontview.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 298
  • workbench_mobile.jpg
    workbench_mobile.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 260
  • workbench_benchdogs_holdfasts.jpg
    workbench_benchdogs_holdfasts.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 275

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Thats got too many mistakes, you need to make another one now that you know what to watch out for. 8-O
Just go ahead and send me that one and I'll get rid of it for you:)

looks like a very good bench to me:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
From what I can see it looks good and should serve you well for years to come. I expect it is a big upgrade from what you were using and that is the most important thing.

Congrats!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bas, that's a sharp looking bench - especially considering the time and $'s involved.

That deserves a YOU SUCK!

Scott

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It looks much to pretty to use as a work bench. I have a perfect spot in my house where I can make it the center piece of the room. I'll be glad to take it off your hands for say $50.00. :-D

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Bas: That's a great looking bench!
And when you think you've got the market cornered on making WW mistakes, come up and spend a day or two with me. I can teach you things you never knew possible!! :eusa_doh::eusa_thin:-?:eusa_pray

Mistakes are my specialty!! Thus my "signature", "NO two pieces alike!"

Enjoy the bench, and Oh yeah, YOU SUCK!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

childe

New User
Chris
That's nice Bas! I need to invest in a good bench. I've got a nice butcher block table that I kept from a remodel that we did at our restaurant. It's got a laminate top over it, and I'm planning on using it for an outfeed/ all-purpose table for my table saw. Anyways, great looking bench, and I'll offer $ 60.00 to beat NC Scrollers $ 50.00 offer.

Chris

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
$60??!!! That's a little extravagant, I can get TWO 15" planers for that kind of money :)
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nice looking bench. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BTW, do you have a 2 43/64 forstner bit I can borrow? :lol: :lol:

Chuck

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Nice looking bench Bas, with clean lines and a nice finish. Congratulations on finishing it:eusa_clap.

Jimmy:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice looking bench! If you don't mind sharing, how much $$ in materials would you estimate you have in it? Not counting the vise...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Clay - this is a pretty cheap bench. I could have spent less on the lumber if I had gotten boards that were a little straighter, and I was a better woodworker.

Lumber - $65, with some scrap leftover (Home Depot).
Bench bolts - $20 (Lee Valley).
Bench dogs/ holdfasts - $9.99 (Rockler - thanks again Joe!)
Glue, BLO, paste wax, band-aids - $5

So yeah, under $100!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Man, you're moving right along Bas!
Impressive in every respect: cost, quality, and build time :eusa_clap

Roger

Badabing

New User
Joe
Bas, that's a great looking bench and just the right price range for me too! BTW, I love reading your posts, you crack me up all the time :rolf: I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one measuring from random points and gluing stuff upside down :BangHead:

I just finished an outfeed/work table using some scrap 2x4s from HD. The whole thing cost me under $50 (most of that was for the top). I can't tell you how many times I screwed something up and ran around the shop cursing :eusa_doh: But I'm a big fan of cheap supplies, that way I never feel bad when I mess up enough to have to start over :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS