Tar Heel Woodworker

Status
Not open for further replies.

richlife

New User
Rich
Hi -- the name is Rich and I'm addicted to wood.

I can't believe I never found this site before, but I'm glad I'm here now. This looks like the kind of place I'd like to spend some time. I'll write here a little too much about me and then start looking at what you folks are saying.

Confession first I guess -- I'm not a native Tarheel, but as they say, "I got here as fast as I could". I've lived in NC since 1962 when I was 16. My wife and grown daughter are natives, and Jefferson NC has become my "hometown". We've been permanently living near Pittsboro since 1991, but have somehow been associated with Chatham County since 1969.

As far as woodworking, it seems I have memories going back forever of me attacking a piece of wood (hopefully, the attacks occur with more finesse now). I took a high school shop class when I was 12, so that's when I start seeing myself as a woodworker. Making things from wood always seemed natural. You can see a little more at my website www.beauhavenwoodworking.com.

My shop is very small, but very complete. The pics on my website show it, but really don't show how effective it really is. Starting with a 12x16 portable building 13 years ago, I've reworked it over and over to finally come up with an environment that fits me. At times I've thought about building something bigger with more space, but I'd rather spend the time carving.

I never started out to be a "hand tool only" guy, but have ended up being hand tools mostly -- at least for carving. For furniture I pretty much use whatever I feel like at the time. Regardless, I've ended up with all the tools I want or need -- mostly at sale or auction prices. I hope to find hints, ideas, help and maybe a few more tools by visiting here. Rich

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Rich!!!:icon_cheers

You have some very, very nice carvings there on your website. Sure look like a seasoned woodworker to me!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I am sure that you will get plenty of enjoyment around here.

Jump right in, post often and by all means have fun!

Wayne

gator

George
Corporate Member
Regardless, I've ended up with all the tools I want or need -- mostly at sale or auction prices. Rich

NO NO NO, this can't be, You must make an emergency appointment for therapy. :gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

Welcome and watch out for that disease that runs rampant here, called, Wood Guys Disease.

George

richlife

New User
Rich
NO NO NO, this can't be, You must make an emergency appointment for therapy. :gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

Welcome and watch out for that disease that runs rampant here, called, Wood Guys Disease.

George

Thanks for the encouragement, gator, but I think you misunderstand. Having got this far with tools and having a small shop, now I have no choice but to start looking to REPLACE my old tools. But at retirement wages, I'll be looking for some good auctions...:tool:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Welcome Rich,

I too am not a native but this is certainly home. I arrived in Chapel Hill (Go Heels!) at 18 and, with a brief stint in Carteret Co., have been in the triangle ever since. Your home and shop are beautiful, idyllic even. Glad to have you at NCWW, you've certainly found one of the best wwing spots on the web.

Travis

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Rich,

Welcome. Glad you found us and decided to join. I'm a transplant too. I've only been in the Raleigh area since 1991.

Always good to have another woodworker join us.

M

McRabbet

Nice work shown on your website, Rich! Welcome to our virtual sawdust pile and we truly hope you'll enjoy it here.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to our sawdust pile Rich. I must warn you though this group is full of enabelers that will help feed your tool collection :gar-La;

Dragon

New User
David
Great looking shop and work there Rich. I'm a transplant too; moved up here from SC two years ago. Hopefully, this is home now. I like it here and the friends I've made through this site are priceless.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Rich. I, too, am growing more fond of the hand tool venue, and we are about the same age. However, somewhere along the line I have failed to develop the skills that your works shows!! Beings no one else has mentioned it, you may want to reserve some space in July for the annual MWTCA (Mid West Tool Collectors Association) gathering at Ed Hobbs' farm in July. I would bet you can find what you are looking for and more there (did someone mention Wood Guys Disease?:rolf:)

Thanks for the encouragement, gator, but I think you misunderstand. Having got this far with tools and having a small shop, now I have no choice but to start looking to REPLACE my old tools. But at retirement wages, I'll be looking for some good auctions...:tool:

richlife

New User
Rich
Welcome to our sawdust pile Rich. I must warn you though this group is full of enabelers that will help feed your tool collection :gar-La;
Enable me, enable me, please! Granted I have most of what I need, granted that I make most of my own jigs and fixtures, granted my space is limited, but GRANTED -- I'M A TOOL FREEAAAKK!!! I drool over catalogs (piles of them), search unendingly for tool bargains, I dream of unlimited space for more, more, MORE...

richlife

New User
Rich
Welcome Rich! If this snow ever lets up I will swing by :)
Salem

Hey, Salem. Nice to "meet" you. Folks, Salem was the lucky winner of the Fine Woodworking 2008 DVD. Judging by his home work, his profession and his large family, it looks like he truly needs and will benefit from it. (And I don't have to be concerned about him dealing with the minor disk issues :<) .

Your family also made me acutely aware that I had left some key information out of my profile. In my other significant forum site, I identified myself upfront as "proud grandfather" -- must have been so excited a finding woodworkers that it passed me over. I have also been married for 41 years now to the same woman (as a psychologist once said to me, that shows how good SHE is) and have one daughter married to a great guy for 15 years now. Being retired, that makes me free, I'm free, I'm so FREE. (Forgive me, I've an extraordinarily fortunate man and sometimes I can't help myself.)

To you all who have responded, thanks for making me feels so welcome! I'm using today's snow as an excuse to browse the morass of NCWW, watch some basketball, and just relax. That may last all the way into late afternoon before I find myself in my shop. See you all in the various forums and I hope to have the chance to meet many of you over time.

Rich

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Rich. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap This is a great group of folks and it's great to have you here. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors