Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

hholgate

New User
Howard
I'm installing the same dust collector. A two ton HF engine crane works really well to lift your assembled cyclone and motor on to its stand and hold it in place while you bolt it down. I tried multiple methods of raising the cyclone before settling on the crane. This thing is really heavy!

What are you using for ductwork? Are you using an 8 to 6 inch adapter on the intake or running a length of 8 inch pipe?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now this thread SUCKS! In more than one way!:eusa_danc:wmad::eusa_danc:wmad::eusa_danc:wmad:

Congratulations on the purchase, Bas!:icon_thum:icon_thum

I am sure that you and your engineering mind will come up with a solution.

I still remember hoisting Scott Smiths Oneida cyclone up into it's first home in the shop. :elvis: Man that thing was a heavy beast!

Don't go and hurt anything physical with the install. Call us and I am sure you will have no problem getting help!

Take care and I hope that you get it up and running with minimal headaches.

Wayne

eyekode

New User
Salem
If you plan on lowering the cyclone it will take cutting the stand. Make sure to account for the extra height required to hoist the beast (when raising the cyclone the maximum height will be the diagonal distance from one of the feet to the top of the cyclone).

Nice stealth gloat by the way :).
Salem

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
At least it wasn't me...... I've done the same type thing many times. Bas, looks like you have it under control.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
If that's the same one I got from Rick, you'll be able to lower it. The 55 gal drum converts to a 35 gal, plus the hose that extends from the cyclone to the drum can be trimmed (mine upwards of 10" could be removed I bet).

gator

George
Corporate Member
If you plan on lowering the cyclone it will take cutting the stand. Make sure to account for the extra height required to hoist the beast (when raising the cyclone the maximum height will be the diagonal distance from one of the feet to the top of the cyclone).

Nice stealth gloat by the way :).
Salem

From looking at the owners manual, it appears that the stand legs are each two part held together with bolts/nuts. This being the case Bas would only have to drill four holes at the proper distance to refasten the two parts to a new height.

George

Geez, in the time to type my response, two others got in.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Um, this might be a foolish question, but have you talked to Rick about taking this unit back if you buy another one from him? :eusa_thin

Bill

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Um, this might be a foolish question, but have you talked to Rick about taking this unit back if you buy another one from him? :eusa_thin

Bill

:rotflm::rotflm: Now Bill you know that would be way to easy - Bas has got to figure this thing out - he might have to get some kind of new toyl to do it with

manfre

New User
Manfre

Bill

Your question is foolish because it doesn't involve a saw, hammer or other demolition tool.

Instead of raising the roof, Bas needs to lower the floor. I'll bring some beer to the Jack hammering party?

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
From looking at the owners manual, it appears that the stand legs are each two part held together with bolts/nuts. This being the case Bas would only have to drill four holes at the proper distance to refasten the two parts to a new height.

George

Geez, in the time to type my response, two others got in.

You are right ... it would be fairly easy to adjust the height because of this.

T

toolferone

I had to go and be different. I had to raise my unit to make it work! The legs are electrical conduit. I had bent at a muffler shop, because they would have splayed out to much to fit in the closet out back. Just having some fun, but I do look forward to the pics of your unit after it is up :eusa_danc.

cyclone1.jpg
duct%20closet%202.jpg
duct%20closet%201.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm installing the same dust collector. A two ton HF engine crane works really well to lift your assembled cyclone and motor on to its stand and hold it in place while you bolt it down. I tried multiple methods of raising the cyclone before settling on the crane. This thing is really heavy!

What are you using for ductwork? Are you using an 8 to 6 inch adapter on the intake or running a length of 8 inch pipe?
I like the idea of an engine crane. My original idea involved first hoisting up the motor/ top plate, holding it in place with some 2x4s, then sliding the rest of the unit underneath it and then lowering the motor assembly. I will need to rethink that. Boy this machine is a lot heavier than I thought.

I'll be running 6" PVC pipe all the way, so I'll use a reducer right at the machine. I thought about 8" pipe, but that's definitely overkill for my shop.

Don't go and hurt anything physical with the install. Call us and I am sure you will have no problem getting help!
I am not proud when it comes to heavy lifting. Besides, anything as an excuse for an NCWW get-together!

I know Rick would be more than happy to arrange a return of the machine, that's the kind of guy he is. However, I've already torn open the box to move the stuff from the garage into my shop, and shipping a 500lb machine back to Shop Fox (or Rick's store) would not be a cheap. Besides, that would violate the First Rule of Tool Acquisition: Once you have a tool, you never give it back!

At any rate, I think opening up the ceiling will solve the problem, and if all else fails I could go with a smaller drum.

ehpoole

Ethan
Just two points I'd like to make:

First, if you go the route of cutting out a hole in the ceiling, take care to properly account for the motor's airflow pattern. You do not want to block the motor's air intake (leave at least a few inches clearance), nor do you want the motor's intake to keep sucking in the same heated exhaust air over and over (you may need to create some sort of an air dam that ensures stale heated air is exhausted well clear of the intake/ceiling recess).

Second, if you go the route of a shorter drum, there is no need to buy a smaller from from the manufacturer. I did not care for the original drum design on my older JDS Cyclone, so I replaced it with a heavy-duty 33-gallon trash can (see my photo album). I even cut out two sets of windows in my new 'drum' so that I could monitor its remaining capacity before over filling it.

HTH -- Good luck!

PS - Don't feel bad, we ALL do dumb things from time to time when we AssUMe! We've all been there at one time or another, some of us more often than others.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Man what a bummer. Reminds me of the old saying, "I cut this board twice, and it is still too short!"
Mtnman :BangHead:

Cato

New User
Bob
Hey congrats Bas on the new cyclone.

Yeah you hit a bump in the road, but hey not that much different than trying to figure out a glitch in a woodworking project that stumps you until a work around can be figured out!!

I googled that unit you got and it looks killer and I'm sure that a good workable solution will present itself, especially now that it is sitting in your shop just waiting to be assembled, that's a motivator for ingenious solutions.

cptully

New User
Chris
Bas,

I've thought for a long time about building my own cyclone and when living in a house with a 7' ceiling in the shop I was seriously considering mounting the motor upside down and using a belt drive mechanism instead of direct drive. But cutting a hole in the ceiling is probably easier. Enjoy!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS