Spraying with Black Paint with clear satin finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

roweathers

New User
Ron
c:
Building a double size desk using Poplar and mdf. (I will attach pic if possible.)
IMG_1344.JPG

I want to spray with black paint and finish with satin clear coat. I have a 4 stage turbine sprayer and have never spray painted before.

Where are some good paint stores to get paint and advice. I am probably going to go with oil based paint, but open to suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
I painted several pieces of furniture I have made to match others that I have purchased. I used flat Benjamin Moore and finished with General Finish's Poly Acrylic. Both are water based. This is exactly what the furniture maker used to finish their pieces. Water based products are a lot easier to clean and easier on the environment. I sprayed both.

On smaller projects I have used a flat enamel spray can followed by Deft Spray lacquer also in a spray can. Looked great also.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Depending on the look you are going for you might consider using either a dye to give you your color and then top coating it as anything else. Or tint your top coat (ie black lacquer or shellac) and building it to the depth you want.

Dave:)

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Depending on the look you are going for you might consider using either a dye to give you your color and then top coating it as anything else. Or tint your top coat (ie black lacquer or shellac) and building it to the depth you want.

Dave:)

I agree with Dave - Woodcraft sells an ebony dye by General Finishes that would probably get the darkness you want, then you can control the amount of sheen or flatness you want. I used flat black paint of a couple of book shelves that I made, but after painting them, I threw them out and made another set and used the dye:

Picture_or_Video_008.jpg

Once I put 3 coats of poly on it, I put a coat of wax on with 0000 steel wool to get the amount of flatness that I wanted.

Hope this helps.

Sandy

JohnW

New User
John
Ron,
Check out targetcoatings.com. They have water based finish products that I highly recommend for spraying. They also have tint...or they can tint the finish. Target also has a forum and an owner that are both very helpful in answering finishing questions. Even if you don't choose to use them, they have a good bit of info on their site and forum.

DavidF

New User
David
A lot depends on the look you want. If you want the Ebony look, with grain showing then go the dye route, no question. If you want a completley covered look, think Japanese lacquer work, then you have a couple of options. If the wood is fairly open grained then you can use a pigment dye, I used Indian Ink on the legs of the Demilune table in my gallery. This needs very careful application to avoid sanding through etc, but boy is it black! I then sprayed several coats of black tinted finish and several more of clear to get the effect I wanted. Afterwards I decided that if I were to do it again I would use black paint as the base and then clear over the top.

roweathers

New User
Ron
Thanks guys for the advice. I am going to use water based paint and finish. I probably am going for more of the lacquer-ish look with clear finish coats. I will check out the TargetCoatings site for additional insight. Will take some photos of my progress soon.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've never done anything but gloss black lacquer rubbed out with 4.0 steel wool to satin it up. I would not suggest that finish on a desk it'll take too much abuse for such a soft finish. It's the rubbing with steel wool that makes for a nice satin finish those ultra fine scratches with the grain are very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS