spray painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Fellas...Im new to the spraying thing...trying to learn right from wrong....I need to do a couple peices in a Satin Black.....do I tint the primer an also is there a certain manufacturer that sprays better than others??? Thanks:icon_scra

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Are you looking for paint to use in a sprayer or are you looking for spray paint in the rattle cans?
If you are going to use a sprayer then you can have the primer tinted. Dark primer will cover easier than white if you're going with a dark color, however it's not necessary. Just use an adequate number of coats to cover the project.
If you're looking for rattle can paint, I've used Painter's Choice which is Rustoleum's cheap stuff on a bunch of parts on my old Jeep. I haven't had the problems with uneven sheen that I've had with other (more expensive) spray paints. I recently had a whole lot of trouble with the sheen using spray poly from Minwax. I sanded and finished with a brush!
When spraying, start just off the edge of the project and lightly spray across to just past the other edge and release the trigger. Repeat until finished. Paint will "build" and can leave an uneven coating and sheen if it goes on heavier in some places than the others.
Thinning housepaint for spraying depends on the power behind the sprayer. I've used a rented sprayer that required thinning of up to 40% to get it thru the hoses (which really affects the coating). And I had a big ole Gracco sprayer that would spray any paint with no thinning. Thinning actually breaks down the paint and the resulting paint film. I tried not to do it with most paints.
Most house paint manufacturers have 3 grades of paint - the good stuff with the premium price, mid grade paint for homeowners who don't want to splurge on the good stuff, and the crap used by builders and rental property owners (avoid these like the plague). Generally the good stuff has the most "guts" and lasts longer and cleans easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS