Spoon making or Shaving horse workshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Great time yesterday!
Good to meet Mike and John

I now have a ladle to add to the collection in the kitchen and a knife and spoke shave to make more!

Mike's a very patient teacher- even I can learn from him

thanks Mike!

(Mike will have to supply the pic's)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
and here they are...

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_10181.JPG

IMG_10201.JPG

jpaup

New User
JP
Thanks Mike for leading this great workshop. Though you may not be able to tell from the pictures, all of the spoons were made from hard maple. Beautiful wood that finishes really nice, but they don't call it hard maple for nothing. That's me on the right in the top picture shaping that large spoon bowl. And no, I am not wearing my hat backwards as a fashion statement, but to keep the sweat from dripping off the bill of my cap on to the carving! :gar-La;:gar-La; And Mike even threw in a hand massage and some red wine vinegar when my hands started cramping up. Talk about hands on training. :rotflm:
The top spoon you see in the last picture Mike demonstrated how to rough out a spoon on that giant lathe you see behind Steve and I. He knocked that out in about 30 minutes where Steve and I carved all day on ours.

LOML loved the new spoon even in the rough. When I get it finished and oiled up I'll send you a picture of it.

Finally, thanks for your much improved driving directions from your house to I-40. A big improvement over the scenic route that Google maps took me through getting there.

For those considering a workshop with Mike I would highly recommend it. Worth every penny.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
With some practice and lots of BENGAY you will be making two of the big pot dippers in a day. :rotflm:

Thanks for driving all the way from the far side of Durham!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS