Sorby 5 Pc. Intermediate Micro-Turning Set Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Would this be a good deal to start out learning with on my Jet Mini Lathe?
Sorby 5 Pc. Intermediate Micro-Turning Set

A perfect compliment to our #67094 micro-set from Sorby, this intermediate set of micro-tools is ideal for projects a tad larger in size. The slightly heavier section of the HSS blades makes them ideal for small boxes and vessels up to 4" in diameter.

Set includes: 5/16" roughing gouge, 1/4" spindle gouge, 3/8" multi-scraper, 1/2" skew, and 1/16" fluted parting tool. Tools have an overall length of approximately 10 to 10-1/2". Ash handles. Made by Robert Sorby. England

On sale for today only from Harts Tools. Was $129, now $90...........??????????

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wayne, what I have been told or heard it the micro sets will limit you to small items like pens. You can still use the larger tools for smaller items. Best bang for the buck is the Harbor Freight set that will only set you back around $40. The only thing the HF set doesn't have (and I need to get) is a bowl gouge. It's up to you, but a lot of people will tell you the HF set is a great deal for those getting started. Just my $0.02!

MikeH

Mike
Corporate Member
Wayne, what I have been told or heard it the micro sets will limit you to small items like pens. You can still use the larger tools for smaller items. Best bang for the buck is the Harbor Freight set that will only set you back around $40. The only thing the HF set doesn't have (and I need to get) is a bowl gouge. It's up to you, but a lot of people will tell you the HF set is a great deal for those getting started. Just my $0.02!

I agree with Ed. They've done me well so far. When you get your bowl gouge just pick up two and I'll keep one at my house. :rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, it's great to see you posting :icon_thum
I would also agree with the full size set, there isn't too many things that you can't do with a full size set, but lots that you can't do with a micro set.
I am also an advocate of the "expensive" HF set, although I've seen some amazing work done on their bargain set, too.
Dave:)

toolman

New User
Chad
Ed, Mike, and Dave are right!! Full size set and the HF set is a good buy! Save your $$$$$$ for a good (Chuck). :):)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I don't believe of owning tools with someone elses name on them especially if they make money because I was naive enough to think they were better tools.
I have used HF Chisels(the $10.00 set in the vinyl pouch) for 2 years.
I see no reson to use big honking tools for a cylinder that is usually 1/2 inch in diameter.
I also use carbon carving chisels I hone.
I recently picked up a miniature set at a swap meet for $10.00.They are great! They allow meet to get in real close to the bushings without feeling as though I am driving a mack truck over the blank.
But hey! what do I know?
I only turn pens.
I have also noted the pens I make look no different whether the steel that cut the wood came from China or not.
It probably was American steel to start with.
You might be turning with your old car.
Above all Robert Sorby on the tool won't make it work better if it is dull.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Drove to the nearest Harbor Freight today. 60 mile trip to Asheville! Picked up the $36 8pc set as suggested. They have the light colored handles. There was one more set that was a little more expensive. But I couldn't remember specifically which set was mentioned. Hope I got the right ones.
Should have looked for a slow speed grinder for sharpening while I was there. Well, maybe next time.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
No need for a motorized sharpening system, they only allow you to screw up the edge faster.
You should have picked up their 4 set diamond stones for $15.00.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I turned a bowl a couple weeks ago and had to make a parting tool cause the one I had was wider than the bowl. :eusa_doh:

Do they sell anything smaller than the micro set? I don't want to buy one just look at it to get some ideas. :eusa_thin

I "cut" my blanks on the lathe with a parting tool made out of a butter knife."grind" and edge on a belt sander and hone.
I chuck one end in a Beall collet chuck,after parting the other half off it's ready to drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS