Small chest project progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
The site is chastising me for not posting in a while, so here's a picture of my current project. It's from a plan by Glen Huey and made from Kyle brand Cherry. Still need to rub out the finish and put on the hardware, but I've started to remodel my bathroom so it'll be a while.

Shellac over dye stain (some mineral stains I needed to tone down), Hand cut dovetails using a Sears saw I resharpened myself and yard sale Stanley 750 chisels I sharpened myself.
Another project I used to try and get better at woodworking - I did most things the hard way. Luckily, this my hobby and not my profession.

chest 5_28_07.jpg

Greg

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Greg:
That turned out beautifully, is the color as even as it appears in the pic....
The dye you used, does it even out sapwood, or were you able to just use heartwood...
again, great job
Gary

MikeH

New User
Mike
Greg the chest looks great!:icon_thum Show us some more pics. We love pics you know.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Good looking chest! The dye really evened the color nicely. What kind of hardware are you going to put on it?

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
"Kyle brand" Cherry is just Cherry I bought from member Kyle. Nice to be able to say it's from "local" wood.:icon_thum

My test piece blotched quite a bit when I applied the dye, so I put on a 1/2 lb cut of shellac on the bare wood and put the dye on top of that. Worked OK except for a few places where the wood got a double coat of shellac - like where the front trim meets the side trim. Probably should have wiped the initial shellac on with a rag instead of using a foam brush. Doesn't show too much. There was a little sap wood on the side, but I sanded through the shellac in that area so it would get more dye. Looks good now, but you never know how Cherry will age.

The top is not inlay, but the design is basically one big dovetail box with trim around it and what you see is the endgrain of the side tails.

I got some chippendale hardware from Horton Brasses. I'm sure that'll be fun drilling holes in drawers that are essentially done. ;-)

nelsone

New User
Ed
How did you apply the dye? I have sprayed it on the project I'm working on now. I tried wiping it on first and was not very impressed, but spraying it seems to work real well. Might even do better if I had a better spray setup!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great looking finish Gregg!
Apparently Steve's "auto reminders" are paying off. :icon_thum
Pleeze don't hide the good stuff from us :lol:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very beautiful. How big is it?? You say small but it looks pretty large next to the outlet cover on the wall. Do you plan any pulls for the drawers??

Dave:)

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the compliments.

The chest is 17 deep x 27 wide x 29 tall.

I wiped on the dye since I haven't sprung for any spray equipment yet. Just used a foam brush and flooded each major face for about 5 minutes before wiping it off. Here's a couple more pictures. Hard to keep the flash from screwing up the photo. Anyway, you can see the top with the dovetails showing through and a drawer dovetails shot.

Keep in mind that that I still will sand down the shellac a bit and then wax to kill some of the gloss - still a work in progress.

Picture 036.jpg Picture 038.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS