Shop step (aka advanced physics/math).....

What should I go with?

• Ramp

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Ramp

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • ramp

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Inclined sloping platform

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Ramp

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I answered the Jim and it was a positive yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes !

I hope that helps.:gar-La;

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member

I think based on this, I'm going to go patio platform at the ~18" height with a ramp off the side.....

Jim

I agree with the platform, but you may want to rethink the ramp to the side. I originally did that for my shed in FL (about the same height situation you have), but after numerous difficulties trying to turn items going into the building, I put the ramp straight out with one step on the side. (side of the door with the knob). The step is preferably when your shoes are slick or wet (think winter).

Go

PS, I voted for Ramp :rolf:

M

McRabbet

I'd go with a sloping inclined platform or you may need to build a ramp that is fully ADA compliant.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Boo!

The project continues. The deck is in. I'm working on the ramp, yes, the beloved ramp!

For a book learned wannabe framer, I think this is wicked close!
P10100402.JPG

View image in gallery

Anyone have thoughts on ramp construction?

I have two pressure treated 2x8's that are 6' long I'd like to use.

The ramp is going to be 32" wide. No more, no less. Best not to ask :) And, yes, my garden cart wheels are 26" apart.

Option 1. Does it make sense to build the ramp sort of like a joist floor system? 2x8's on each end, with some "joists" between them.

Option 2. My other idea is to lay the 2x8's flat on their face. I'd then have two "tracks" of a ramp.

Question 3: What goes on top of the ramp? Exterior grade plywood or 1x deck boards? 2x deck boards?

For those who wonder, all the wood is reclaimed PT from a poorly build deck the previous owners built on the front of the house that I took down before it took me down.

Jim

M

McRabbet

Your ramp needs a landing at the same level as your porch where you'd turn a hand truck or cart from the ramp to the entry or vice versa. It you have a 12' total run, I'd make a platform/landing that was 5' long x 32" wide and attach your ramp so the decking boards on it merge onto the landing with no bump or drop. Use three lengthwise joists for the ramp section and taper their ends to sit on your footing (I'd consider putting in a concrete pad at the bottom) and cut the upper ends so they meet a rim board across the ends to attach to the landing. If you build it with the materials you've mentioned, you could move 5-600 lbs up it. You don't need a railing.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Rob, thanks, I think I follow.

What I have been calling my deck is 3' x 6'. The ramp will attach to the 3' rim board. With a 4' door opening (centered and parallel to the 6' side of the deck), making the turn from the ramp into the shop seems doable.

Does that sound like what you were suggesting?

There are extenuating circumstances that necessitate coming up the 3' side with the ramp.

I found an extra 2x5.19324 (it was used for a different nefarious project) that I can put as the 3rd
middle joist.

From those helpful links I think I can pull this off.

Could there be a completed project in my near future......

Jim

Your ramp needs a landing at the same level as your porch where you'd turn a hand truck or cart from the ramp to the entry or vice versa. It you have a 12' total run, I'd make a platform/landing that was 5' long x 32" wide and attach your ramp so the decking boards on it merge onto the landing with no bump or drop. Use three lengthwise joists for the ramp section and taper their ends to sit on your footing (I'd consider putting in a concrete pad at the bottom) and cut the upper ends so they meet a rim board across the ends to attach to the landing. If you build it with the materials you've mentioned, you could move 5-600 lbs up it. You don't need a railing.

Ehardin

New User
Ed
Being that you'll need to move wood into your shop and large projects out steps are of no use....
a ramp however a good idea still leaves the "work" aspect of moving stuff to and from the shop....

I would go with a hydraulic lift and ramp which you could raise to the level of the truck to load projects or unload wood. Thus, saving your back and giving you more time to do the important stuff......

:gar-La;

Ed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS