Shaker Chest of Drawers Finished. (Pics) Have a Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

photog

New User
Dan
I built this chest for my son, out of Philippine mahogany using mortise and tenon joinery. We both like its vertical orientation. At 52 ¼” high it’s a tall dresser.

MasterShot1.jpg

The original plans called for four smaller drawers topside, but per his request, I modified them down to only two. He also didn’t like the simple rabbeted wood drawer glides and wanted full extension ball bearing slides. This took a bit of internal design alteration but in the end, it all worked out fine. All that steel did add considerably to its weight.

MasterShotStraight.jpg

Here is the carcass during an early dry fit.

Dry-Fit.jpg

The dedicated mortiser got a good workout on this project and the x-y vise improvement to this machine really paid off in speed and accuracy.

DuckHead.jpg

MortiseChisel.jpg

Here you can see the long stopped mortise that was routed into each of the legs. I got good advice from the forum on how to cut these on this thread. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=75418#poststop

LongStoppedMortise.jpg

DrawerSlides.jpg

I would have liked to have used full extension bottom mounted slides and concealed the mechanical hardware. The Blum Tandems in my kitchen drawers are silky smooth, a pleasure to operate and don’t sully the appearance of the drawer side dovetail joinery.
But alas, they would have added $200 to the total cost. I couldn’t justify their added expense.

DrawersOut.jpg

Will I regret it? If it becomes a family heirloom, they’ll just have to know that grandpa was just trying to be practical.

Knobs_Side.jpg

EdgeTreatment.jpg

I followed along with the simple lines of the Shaker style tradition to a point. But, understatement and lack of ornamentation can also get pretty boring. I went with this little 1/8” round-over edge treatment that I think dresses it up but still doesn’t violate any Shaker taboos. We wouldn’t want any purists to get their panty hose in a bunch.

A macro shot of one of the store bought Shaker knobs.
ShakerKnob.jpg

A bit of shameless self promotion.
Brand.jpg

Thanks for looking.

M

McRabbet

Dan,

You deserve the "shameless promotion"!! You did a beautiful job and the finish is superb! I like the lines and prefer the paired drawers at the top that you did vs. having four. A very nice piece of furniture that will last a lifetime or more! :eusa_clap

Monty

New User
Monty
You did a great job - this will definitely become a family heirloom! I think the slides will add to the practicality/utility of the piece, so in that sense they're sort of 'Shaker' right? ;) As always, the photography is superb - well done!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Dan,

Wonderful job on the chest. Mahogany is my wood of choice however I build out of whatever the client wants. Have you ever worked with Sapele? I actually like it better than Mahogany and the price is cheaper. Workability of the Sapele is about the same as mahogany and the color, to me is much richer. Anyway, very nice job and I am sure your son will enjoy it for many years to come.

Mike

b4man

New User
Barbara
The chest will be enjoyed for generations I'm sure. Beautiful work from design to finish.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dan, very beautiful work. And this is one the times that I can truly say the photos do it justice :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Does the duck head add to the performance of your mortiser? :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pretty work, Dan. Beautiful wood. :icon_thum

I really like the Shaker lines a lot.

Since the drawers spend 99 percent of their life closed I don't think the BB slides will be a distraction. I really like the smoothness of BB slides. My wooden ones work fine but require periodic waxing/lube. Never had that problem with ball bearing slides. :lol:

Chuck

gator

George
Corporate Member
Nice job Dan. An aside question: have you replaced the chisels/bits on that HF mortiser? If you did which ones did you find that fit? Delta, Firsch, who?

George

photog

New User
Dan
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the good will.

Michael- I’ve never heard of Sapele, much less worked with it. I’ll keep my eyes open for it but I’ve never seen it here in California. Sounds nice.

Mike- Now you’ve got me going. I’m going to have to learn to turn knobs. Have the equipment, just need the skill. Maybe next time.

And Yes, Dave. The Mallard head quacks his approval with each properly completed mortise. My son and I duck hunt. The head was a ball hitch cover on his truck until he got a fix-it ticket for it obscuring his license plate. Pleeeeezz! Only in California.:roll:

Happy Memorial Day Everyone. They made the ultimate sacrifice for us.

photog

New User
Dan
No George, I’ve not had to replace the chisel/bits yet. I read an article on sharpening them though and I hope that’s all I’ll have to ever do. I did go looking for chisels that would fit though. This project called for a 5/8” mortise and HF’s only go to ½”. I ended up making the mortises ½” because I came up empty handed looking for part that would fit. HF only makes the set that came with the machine. So I think our choices are limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS