Set-up Square/Shop Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I am looking for a square that is accurate enough to set up shop equipment, but flexible enough for use as a shop square. I have been looking at the Starrett 6" double square. I have a double square and like it a lot better than a combination square.

I don't own any Starrett equipment, but understand that is is the gold standard for accuracy. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the Starrett square could be used for this double duty?

Thanks for any input.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
have you looked at the Woodpecker squares? What does everyone think about them ?

sapwood

New User
Roger
I like the Groz Engineer squares because they are cheap, accurate, and readily available. FWIW I've checked mine with Wixey Digital angle indicator and they are dead on :icon_thum Of course, I can't guarantee that the Wixey is 100% accurate :eusa_thin

Roger

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
In the machinist's world, Starret is THE STANDARD that all others are measured against. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Scott

T

toolferone

I have the Starrett and love it! I have several Starrett squares and the 6" double is the one I grab first. It is a good size.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I've been a fan of the Incra products for years and use a set of their 5" 90 and 45-degree squares for lots of machine setup and for checking smaller projects. I have a bunch of Woodpeckers squares for larger projects.
If you aren't familiar with the Incra squares see the link below. I also have reviews of many Woodpeckers measuring and layout tools int he Tool Reviews section of my site.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/incrasqrsrvu.html

gator

George
Corporate Member
Five or six years ago I bought a set of four HF engineers squares (6" and down) for about $12. I have found them to be accurate to any square I compared them to (including the Wixey). I have not seen the set of four lately but only the set of three. If I see the set of four again I will buy two more sets. I use them all the time in the shop.

George

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the Starrett double and it is accurate and it will do all that you ask of it. The only thing I don't like is mine does not have the "satin" rule, it has the brighter one. Just personal preference, but I believe the soft finished ones are easier to read.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Personally just about any square will work and their accuracy is easy to check. Put one leg against a straightedge and mark a vertical line. Flop the square left/right and see it the vertical leg of the square matches the previously drawn line. If it does then you are good to go.

If its off a little, and its your typical flat steel square then you can tweak it by center punching it where the legs meet to ever so slightly change the relationship from the legs. Punching at the outside 90 degree point will force the legs closer together. Center punching on the inside will tend to spread the two legs apart.

If you want something real accurate get a set of 2-4-6 steel blocks (steel block precision milled to dimensions of 2"x4"x6"). I use the steel blocks to set up any of my equipment while the square does everything else. You can also buy inexpensive steel 45/90 degree and 30/60/90 small triangles that have been precision milled. The 45/90 degree one works nice to check out a table saw blade to make sure it is perpendicular to the table surface.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The 12" Starrett Combination square would be my choice if I had to have only one square. But...knock it off the bench once and you're hosed.

I use a 6" Engineering square very carefully for critical machine setup, an 8" and 18" plastic drafting triangle http://www.dickblick.com/zz554/47/ , a 4" Starrett double square for smaller jobs and a Veritas Saddle Square: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=48041&cat=1,42936,50298 for wrapping a square line around a board, 2X4, etc.

An hour doesn't pass in my shop without me using the 4" double square and the saddle square. They're the tools I would grab if the shop was on fire.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I have to agree with the choice of a Starrett Square, It took me a while to buy the 12" combination set up, but it was well worth it. I keep all of my other squares squared with it, and use it for fine work. It is a machinist's square and used by people expecting accuracies in the thousandth of an inch.

If you can afford it , buy it.

Jimmy:)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I have a 12 Starrett combo square that I use a lot, and a Starrett 4" double square that I use more than any other. Also a Woodpecker aluminum fixed square that gets a lot of use.

Squares are expensive and I'm all for saving $$ but this is one place where I sucked it up and paid out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS