Router Sled Update (with pics now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, like I said, cold or not, got me some shop time in today. When you put on the polypro thermals, wool cap, and Gore Tex gloves just to do a little woodworking, you're either determined or not too bright.:jealous: Oh well, been waiting long enough and had to go for it. I took some pics but for some reason they ain't uploading. Keep getting some kind of server error.:BangHead: Anyway.........

I managed to get it all going my way after some adjusting for heights on my horizontal rails and getting things level. In between numerous breaks to go inside and warm up, I managed to grind off about 20lbs. of chips and sawdust from that big Maple slab I've been sanding on for nearly a year now. Man that router sled jig is sure gonna save me some time and money.

Thanks to McRabbit who sent me a recommendation to MLCS http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_bottm.html and their fine shipping service, I was able to try out not only my newly built sled but a router bit too. Both worked great.

I did learn that the next sled I build I'm gonna try to use either HDPE or some sort of phenolic for the router to ride on.:eusa_thin The plywood works okay but I didn't have any wax to slick it up with. Once I applied some lemon oil to it, the router almost moved itself. Also found out the aluminum horizontal rails work much better when they have a little silicone lubricant applied to them. Dang near had to chase it down after that.

I decided to try my hand at this using the bottom side of the slab which had some really nasty chainsaw gouges in it. No sweat. That bit ate right through super dry Maple like butter.:icon_thum Tomorrow I hope to work on the "finish" side and get it nice and level like so I can then worry and fret over what to use for the base support and how to make it. I'm thinking some of the root structure from the tree the slab came from. I'll try to post up pics tomorrow morning early when maybe the net won't be so busy and they'll upload okay then.

All things considered, I had a decent shop day. 8" of snow on the ground and 5" of router shavings on the bench. :cool:

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Re: Router Sled Update

David,

Sounds like a real good day in spite of the cold. What is the finished thickness of the top going to be? I'll be looking for the pictures in the morning.

Bob

Dragon

New User
David

David,

Sounds like a real good day in spite of the cold. What is the finished thickness of the top going to be? I'll be looking for the pictures in the morning.

Bob

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 to 3 inches. When I first started with it last year, it came off the stump ranging from about 4" up to a bit over 7". This is how it looked right off the stump.
SANY0239.JPG

And this is after about going through about six 40 grit belts.
SANY0247.JPG

Dragon

New User
David
Re: January Snow Storm

BTW, the router sled sounds like it's working ok. Glad to hear it. You could use some HDPE installed as 'buttons' on the mating surfaces if would help. That stuff works like butter.
Yeah, I got some of those "furniture mover" sticky pads at Lowe's and have them on the underside of the sled itself. Those 'luminum rails still needed a slickin' up though. Might have been the cold.:eusa_thin

Last edited by a moderator:

Dudelive

New User
Dude

For something that will help the sliding on aluminum do a search for "ptfe 40 spray" works rather well and no fear of silicone spray on the wood causing problems with the finishing. Just an idea to try.

Dragon

New User
David

For something that will help the sliding on aluminum do a search for "ptfe 40 spray" works rather well and no fear of silicone spray on the wood causing problems with the finishing. Just an idea to try.

Thanks for the link. I'll check that out. :icon_thum

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

That is Purty~!

SANY0247.JPG

Can't wait to see the work in progress and the Finished product.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like one o' them photos from Mars - and cheaper too! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Dragon

New User
David
Okay, finally got the pics uploaded this morning.

This is after getting the rig set up for the first trial cuts and making the initial passes.
SANY0037.JPG

So,e pretty wicked chainsaw grooves that need removing. Before getting this sled set-up built, this would have taken me several days of vigorous belt sanding.
SANY0039.JPG

After roughly 2 hours of work interrupted by numerous dashes for the warmth of the inside to get the feeling back in my fingers, all the saw marks are gone and there's considerable chip/dust buildup all over my bench. :eusa_danc
SANY0040.JPG

As you can tell, this slab is a bit wider than my workbench. Gotta move it around a bit the get to the entire surface. I plan to remedy this by constructing another sled and adding to my vertical supports to increase my available working area. I figure attaching another section or two of the aluminum or using some 2X4's for spacers, I can enlarge my width travel by however much I need. Something to bounce around between my two brain cells at work this week.

Even though it was cold as the welldigger's nether regions, I actually had a poroductive and enjoyable day in the "shop" as it is. Oh, here's some pics of the snowfall in "my" neck of the woods.
SANY00131.JPG

SANY0028.JPG

My trusty workhorse that I use to haul all those logs and stumps outta the bush. It's at least 10" deep and as you can see, she's filled to the rim.
SANY0035.JPG

And, of course, "Tucker", aka The Moose, having some fun.
SANY0021.JPG

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
David,
I believe I have some UHMW strips from my conveyor construction days.And it was ised for exactly the same aluminum application as you are using.Remember the rails I showed you ,well they had teflon tape on them for where the belts ride and I will look for it when I get down to the shop today.I know I have something that will work.Talk to you later today.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors