Router and Router Lift Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
I am looking to buy a new router and a router lift. I want one of the big routers (3-3 1/4 HP). If you would be willing to share some thoughts, I have a few questions.

1. What router do you own/use?
2. Would you buy it again?
3. What features do you like and dislike?
4. What router lift do you own/use?
5. What features do you like and dislike?

Assume that price is no object.

Thanks in advance!

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I am looking to buy a new router and a router lift. I want one of the big routers (3-3 1/4 HP). If you would be willing to share some thoughts, I have a few questions.

Thanks in advance!

If cost is not important why don't you get a shaper? The cost of a large router, router lift and table will approach if not equal the cost of decent shaper.
...just a thought
Bernhard

M

McRabbet

1. What router do you own/use? Milwaukee 3-1/2HP Variable Speed
2. Would you buy it again? Yes, it is an excellent unit
3. What features do you like and dislike? Powerful for largest bits, Variable Speed, Can adjust from above table with included 3/8" T-wrench, easy heighth adjustment from below if wanted -- Dislikes: Not easy enough to change bits (must pull out motor; 30 second job)
4. What router lift do you own/use? Don't own one as I think it is superfluous -- if I did, I'd get the JoinTech Digital, but it is pricey.
5. What features do you like and dislike? N/A

Assume that price is no object. You wish!

Thanks in advance!

Hope this helps.. Rob

T

toolferone

If cost is not important why don't you get a shaper? The cost of a large router, router lift and table will approach if not equal the cost of decent shaper.
...just a thought
Bernhard
I agree that the cost comes close, but then you look at the cost of shaper bits and they lots more then router bits. Router bits are easier to find locally and I think there are more router bit profiles then shaper profiles. But, then you say to run the router bits on the shaper, me think that the shaper runs to slow for smaller router bits. My .02 cents worth.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Router and Router Lift Opinions
1. What router do you own/use? I have 3: PC 7539, Hitachi M12 and a smaller Dewalt. I use them all.

2. Would you buy it again? Yes to all.

3. What features do you like and dislike? The dewalt is light and I use it for small projects. The others are more powerful. The PC is bulky. It was in my router table but it barely fit inside. I am planning on changing the the M12 inside.

4. What router lift do you own/use? WOODPECKER PRL ROUTER LIFT

5. What features do you like and dislike? The lift is top notch. The adjustments are terrific and it supports a wide range of routers.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Thanks in advance!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I have the Milwaukee and agree with McRabbet; EXCEPT newer routers like the Triton say they have dust control.
I have 2 bases so I can leave one permanently in the table.

BobN

New User
Bob
1. What router do you own/use? I have 3 690 series Porter Cable routers along with a Porter Cable 310 and a 7518 in the table. Also have a Bosch plunge router, believe it is 1613, may be wrong on the number, it's from the early 90s. A very good router, but I seldom used it. That makes a total of 6 routers.

2. Would you buy it again? The Porter Cables yes, the Bosch probably not.

3. What features do you like and dislike? Love the D-handle 690 for hand held use and the 310 for light work. Like the 7518 in the table, haven't come across a job that it can't handle.

4. What router lift do you own/use? Have the JessEm Mast-R-Lift.

5. What features do you like and dislike? Change bits with router in place in the table; just raise it above the top. Very fine adjustments. Can't think of anything I dislike about it.

Bob

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I thought that I might chirp in here.
I have a Bosch router table with stand.
mounted to it is my 3 hp Porter Cable (vairable speed, plunge router)
After a year of using it like this and cursing every time that I had to change set ups. I finally bought a routerRaizer. (around 100.00) Installed it and was immediately overjoyed at the ease of adjusting the rounter to match what ever it was that i was working with.
I mean I can get accuracy like I have never seen before. I was very happy.

I have made alot of raised panel doors and styles and rails with this set up.
Problems that I still have is that the plate that the router is attached to, that comes with the bosch table, has a deflection in it. It would happen to anyone over time, in that the material will give by the weight of the router hanging under it.
Not sure what I will do yet.
Another problem is with doing the cross cut routing of the ends of the rails where they will lock into the styles.
I have bought a sled with nice lock downs, but you still have to really watch what you are doing, making several passes, or I end up with an out of square end.

I am thinking of building my own router table with a metal plate to attach the router to would be the best way, but that is still in the air.
But I do like the router raizer, as an inexpensive cure for adjusting the routers height.
I know that there are better ones out there but they are pricey.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
1. What router do you own/use? I think I have 5. 1 D handle PC 69x, one regular PC 69X, a PC7518, a Bosch 1611, a Dewalt 625.
2. Would you buy it again? The Bosch, no, and for only one reason. It is not soft start and it jerks quite hard when starting it.

3. What features do you like and dislike? I like the D handle for general free hand routing, like when you are doing edges. A plunge router has some advantages, and the DW625 is pretty nice IMO. The only reason I bought the 7518 was to use in a router lift.

The DW625 has the most "features" of any of the routers that I own. Single wrench bit changes which are nice, collets lock into the nut making it easier to remove bits, good height adjustment, and good on/off switch placement.

For the dislikes, I do not like not having soft start. On 2 of my routers, once you loosen the collet nut you have to knock the bit loose with something as the collets are not attached to the nut so that isn't real great. Two wrenches isn't a real problem to me. Oh, variable speed on a larger router major plus. My Bosch does not have it.

4. What router lift do you own/use? Jess'em Master lift

5. What features do you like and dislike? Above table bit changes, adjustments marked to 1/64", easy adjustment to get level to table top and adjustments to make it fit snug to table, easy to adjust backlash out. Two dislikes. The lift is expensive. 2nd, the additional insert plates are very expensive ($30 for a set of 5).

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Tom,

I have the PC 7518 variable speed coupled up with a Jessem Master lift. Very satisfied with the unit as it has plenty of HP to run large panel raising bits and can be slowed down to accomadate a bit that large. I had some problems with the inserts but a little filing solved the problem. Jessem is very customer orientated and stand behind their stuff so if you have any problems, I'm sure they would be helpful. BTW, there is a NC sales rep for them but I forgot his name.

Asking this question, will bring a myriad of answers from satisfied folks using a myriad of different systems. I would suggest that you do some research and price compare. Are you planning on leaving the router in the lift or are you planning on taking it out when needed (bad idea)? If you are planning on making it a permanent setup, check out just buying the PC 7518 motor only and put it in a lift of your choice. That is what I did and saved a few bucks. You can check with the guys at the Woodworking Store and get a quote from them on a Jessem lift with "just the PC 7518" motor.

What ever lift you choose, I would highly suggest getting one that will allow bit changes from the top and allow adjustments from the top. IMHO, buying anything else will not satisfy you and you will have buyers remorse. YMMV and this is just my pinon so that along with $2.15 will get you a gallon of petrol.

MIke

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly

I have the Marvel Router 3 HP by MLCS (See my picture gallery)
I also purchased the Router Raizer which you have to install when you get it.

If I don't have to mount the Router Raizer yes! If I had to install the Router Raizer NO! It's a BEAR! Too Many small parts and they fall out all over the place. Took me 8 hours to put it back together and then I wanted to throw the whole thing in the trash. But it does an excellent job once in place and running.

Quite, smoothe running, HD. Having to mount the raizer.

Router Rizer #9181 by MLCS

Easy to handle dislike dust port and router shaft lock. Lock does not hold well when using wrench to remove bit.

Overall FAIR. I beleive I would go with a PC next time. Ialso have 4 Craftsman stationary routers which I like and looking at a plunge router by Craftsman but like the PC. Terry

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
1. What router do you own/use? In the table, a Hitachi M12V 3.5HP
2. Would you buy it again? Yes, however would consider the 3.5HP Porter Cable is price was not a consideration.
3. What features do you like and dislike? Like - Price, Power, Ease of Use; Dislike - Below table bit change and too tight collet.
4. What router lift do you own/use? Woodpeckers Unilift
5. What features do you like and dislike? Like - Heavy duty, built well, highly accurate; Dislike - Metal top can get burrs which scratch wood (happens when you change the bit in the router and slip and scratch it), High price, below table bit change.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Tom,

I have the PC 7518 variable speed coupled up with a Jessem Master lift. Very satisfied with the unit as it has plenty of HP to run large panel raising bits and can be slowed down to accomadate a bit that large. I had some problems with the inserts but a little filing solved the problem. Jessem is very customer orientated and stand behind their stuff so if you have any problems, I'm sure they would be helpful. BTW, there is a NC sales rep for them but I forgot his name.

Asking this question, will bring a myriad of answers from satisfied folks using a myriad of different systems. I would suggest that you do some research and price compare. Are you planning on leaving the router in the lift or are you planning on taking it out when needed (bad idea)? If you are planning on making it a permanent setup, check out just buying the PC 7518 motor only and put it in a lift of your choice. That is what I did and saved a few bucks. You can check with the guys at the Woodworking Store and get a quote from them on a Jessem lift with "just the PC 7518" motor.

What ever lift you choose, I would highly suggest getting one that will allow bit changes from the top and allow adjustments from the top. IMHO, buying anything else will not satisfy you and you will have buyers remorse. YMMV and this is just my pinon so that along with $2.15 will get you a gallon of petrol.

MIke

Mike,

In reference to the Woodworking Store, do you mean Klinspor's? I do plan to only use it in the table and I was really thinking of getting the Mastr-Lift top that has the Mastr-Lift already attached. I really won't need the base for the router if I do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors