rotten wood repair in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks to a previous post requesting information on repairing a window sash I got the info and courage to try it on my own. I am pleased with the result so far. I still need to add more epoxy to the exterior side to make it level but the hard part is done and the entry way for wildlife has been closed.8-O
I couldn't find the recommended PC Woody product locally but I used Minwax hardener and wood filler instead. Here are 2 pix. The first and the last to date. Others in my gallery.

Attachments

• window repair 003.jpg
    window repair 003.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 159
  • window repair 011.jpg
    window repair 011.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 152

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that really worked well. Just level it off, a coat or two of paint and it will be good as new.
Dave:)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Pete,
When I get back we can both do them,,I think I have 2 or 3. How is the weather at home? I have a couple outside projects that need to be done when I get home.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
dry right now, If I hadn't spent the afternoon with my brother and his wife, I could have finished the bookcase project I have going together. left the workbench outside (3/4" CDX ply on sawhorses), thinking I would get to work on it after dinner tonight. But,,,, I had the pleasure of enjoying a bad beer with dinner. When it has been a while, even bad beer can taste good,,, and I chose not to play with any power tools this evening. Sorry you can't have any of those while over there. When I did my board for E-5, beer math was still a valid question8-O in the study guides.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job on the repair Barbara.:icon_thum Did you get a chance to finish leveling it out yet? I bet that will look good as new once you get it primed and painted.

D L

b4man

New User
Barbara
window repair done

It took six weeks from start to finish but Wednesday I officially closed out this project. Timing was a bit off as "Otto Matic" deleted the previous thread relating to this repair for too much time passing from start to finish:lol: As if I needed to be told!
There are additional pix in my gallery but here are the comparison photos.
Thanks for looking and a special thank you to those who encouraged me to 'get er done'!

[/attach]

Attachments

• window_repair_003.jpg
    window_repair_003.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00391.JPG
    DSC00391.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 135

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Otto's doings can be undone. All you need to do is ask! ;-)

The repair looks great, Barbara!:icon_thum

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks Nick and Thank you Chris for reopening the thread. I really didn't expect that but I'm happy you did. Honestly, I finished the window, took the pix and when I went to upload there was Otto's message! It was just another reminder of how ridiculous it is to keep putting off what needs to be finished...in the future when I start something I will finish it before Otto has a chance to visit:lol: ( I hope)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Not a problem! For future reference, it's literally a 10 second (or less) job for a moderator/admin to re-open a closed thread so don't hesitate to ask.

J

jeff...

Barbra, that worked out real well, great job.

I'm un familiar with the products you used. If I my toss in my two cents on products. I know regular old auto body bondo works pretty well too and if you buy the home improvement kind it come with a white hardener so it dries a light gray instead of pink. The thing I like about bondo is there a fair amount of time in between when it's first mixed, till it cures so it can be shaved with a razor blade. I actually repair quite a bit of furniture with bondo, it's great for repairing broken corners and bigger chunks missing out of furniture. It shapes easily, but ultra hard when it cures in about 30 mins.

You did a great job on the window frame and saved yourself some big bucks on replacement :icon_thum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS