Ridgid Miter Saw repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The company which I work for is a small commercial outfit. We have a couple of CMS of different brands. One of the older units is a DeWalt 12" CMS that someone dropped off the saw bench some time back. Since then it never did cut consistent angles so I decided to put it on the 'grease rack'.
When I tore it down tonight I found the center table pivot boss had broken from the casting and was almost swinging freely. It's been a long time since I did any TIG welding but I'm gonna give it a try.
Here's where you guys come in: can anybody verify that these units are made of Aluminum and NOT Magnesium? I really can't tell, but I know what happens when you get Mg a little too warm & I've got ample light in the shop as it is. Plus, it's already getting warm enough I don't need any heat in the shop!
Also, I didnt' know if this was in the right forum or not so I'll just hafta trust the moderators to move it as they see fit.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Dennis,
my 12" dewalt cms is about 14+ years old and its definitely aluminum.If you want to be real sure:swoon: go to the dewalt/delta parts website and search for that part number and check out the physical description and that should verify one way or another.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Intersting site, Randy. Thanks. I found my old welding texbook & it says you can TIG weld either one with Helium shielding gas. Just so happens a customer gave me a bottle of Helium they used to fill balloons & no longer used. Don't know how much is in it but it seems to have a lot of pressure when the valve is cracked. The saw is almost a throwaway for what I'd probably have to pay for the replacement casting so nothing would be lost if it didn't work. Besides, it'll be a good experience.
I know, ........pics.

BarryC

New User
Barry
I have no idea on what it is made of. But I justed to let you know if the repair doesn't work we'll all want pics of whatever you MacGuyver from the rest of the saw!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
DeWalt used to have a "fix it for no more than 50% of new" policy. Check to see if they still do. Might be cheaper to let DeWalt fix it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's a deal! Went to the Ridgid website looking for the part out of curiosity. Couldn't get it to tell me how much. Gotta call back & talk to a warm body during 'business hours'.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I'm confused (at my age that may be normal). Is it a Ridgid or a DeWalt?

George

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'm confused (at my age that may be normal). Is it a Ridgid or a DeWalt?

George
George, I'm a couple years younger than you, but I too am confused.:dontknow: Dennis mentions both Rigid and DeWalt in his post. (Remember that he is in the construction business and it is Friday night.) If it is a Dewalt, he might want to search pawn shops for a dog that could be parted out. Recently, I bought a 12" DeWalt for $120, that was like new. It was an American assembled machine, from parts cast in the ROC.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
My bad, guys. It is a RIDGID model MS12502. I wish it was a DeWalt. They have a local service center here.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, I finally got 'round to working on this lil' project.

I hope to try it out tomorrow. It's been fun fixing it. Got to revisit old skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS