Ramin picture frame with Purpleheart inlay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
UNC-CH diplomas arrived yesterday (finally). My daughter picked this out of a magazine. Finish is wipe-on poly clear gloss. Ramin is off-white before finish is applied.
#20 bisquits in corners

Frame005.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice, tight miters :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I have never heard of Ramin, other than the noodles in favored salt water that sustained me through most of college :lol: Where does the wood come from,and how did it change from an off-white, to such a beautifully rich brown with just poly???

Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
It's far eastern, has grain like maple and ramin is the Japanese label. As to color change...I don't know!. Most of the time you'll find it stained dark.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Joe, thanks for the info. I learned something today :eusa_danc Ramin - Gonystylus bancanus (and other species) mainly found in peat-bogs in Malaysia. Sounds to be very similar to rubber wood, and is often used in horizontal blinds slats, due to it's stability.

Dave:)

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
From my experience with Ramin it can be VERY chippy when routed but other than that pretty good. Faily boring grain patterns that I've seen so best suited to smaller objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS