Project Progression

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Progressing to the finish on an island/table for the kitchen. Top is spalted maple (couple pieces of walnut), drawers are red oak, and base is poplar. Just put the second coat of danish oil on. Will seal with shellac and then add wipe on poly. It stands approximately 37" high, is approximate 4' long and 2-1/2' wide.

IMG_49091.JPG

IMG_49041.JPG

Thanks for looking.

tv

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very attractive and functional table, Todd!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc I really like the drawer idea!!!

Wayne

J

jeff...

Thats nice man, love all the color in the maple. Could we well could I perhaps get a look underneath kinda interested how you attached the lets to the aprons - corner block - M&T or other?

Thanks

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That looks great! Very nice job on the frame and drawers, and that top is spectacular! Like Jeff said - what's the joinery?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice looking table. I like the wood you used for the top. It has a clean neat looking design and I like the idea of drawers.:icon_thum

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Nice design and execution! The walnut is a great highlight and works very well with the rest of the piece!

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I attached the legs and apron by mortise and tenon. It's really more like a half tenon or lap joint. Here are the better pics I have from before glue up. I took the easier route.

113.jpg

IMG_4701.JPG

I routed out the mortise in the leg and then cut the tenon/lap. Since the router bit created a rounded portion in the bottom of the mortise, I used a chisel to shape the lower section of the tenon to match and so the apron would fit flush with the top of the leg.

tv

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Very nice Todd.
How did you taper the legs?
What are your counter-tops? Being a little color blind, I'm leery of making match/contrast decisions and have to [STRIKE]steal [/STRIKE]borrow from others!
Joe

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
The counter tops in the house are a small speckled grey color. There are a few more pics in my gallery that show the sides of the table top. You can see greyish portions that I think will tie into the existing kitchen.

Concerning the leg shaping, it was a bit of free hand on the jointer. The legs are 3" square at the top and 2" at the bottom. I scribed lines on all of the legs to show start, stop and angle of taper. Then using the jointer, shaped to the line. Really after doing the 1st one, the other three went quite quickly. 1st time to use a jointer in this manner and it was easier that I had anticipated.

tv

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is one nice looking table, I really like the Walnut that you have added. Very nice design and Functional.

Matthew

sapwood

New User
Roger
Todd,
Man, you did a bang-up job on this one!
It's a nice design and the walnut adds flair. The joinery is very accomplished :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS