Poll - What do you do when you build something?

What do you do when you decide to build something significant

• Post a message asking for plan ideas and suggestions?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Clay,
You need to add an all of the above.
At times I've used all of the methods.....on the same project!

Ron

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I like to make a pencil drawing (not to size) to start to get a general idea that this is really what I want. Then make a drawing using the measurements I will be using and make a copy of the project. I usually make it out of pine or popular as the proto type. If this is what I like then I recheck my measurements and start the project. If the porject requires a certain finish I will test a sample finish on a piece of scrap wood I am using on the project. Right now I am making a Fire Department Plaque that I designed years ago using some figures from some bronze plaques. It consisted of a Fire firghter on each end of the State of North Carolina as the background with the Fire Department Patch of that Department between them. I have also done it with the Fire Department Malteese Cross in the middle. All parts are in 3D and very time consuming. I have made several that have been presented at Fort Bragg over the years. My biggest problen is if it doesn't look right I will throw out a peice and start over till I get it right. Can be expensive. PS I am a NUT! Terry:XXcompute

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'm a hybrid. The LOML and I will decide I am going to build something be it a dresser, bed, cabinet, etc, and then we go picture hunting. If I can find a plan we like, I will buy it, but I have not had a lot of luck with plans. Too many times either the joinery is not as good as it should be, or more likely I suck at that type of joinery.

If we don't find a plan, then I will do drawings laying out how I will make it from the picture. For dimensions, I try to stay pretty standard and rob them from other plans/books/magazines that I have. One that I use a lot for dimensions is Thomas Moser's measured shop drawings for american furniture. Historically, I would get out pencil and paper and do rough drawings, but I would end up forgetting or missing something. Now I pull up sketchup and do it all. One thing I have noticed with me doing sketchup is that I at times make the joinery more complex than I need to..

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, I would have to go for almost all of the above. I mostly draw up my own plans with inspiration from pictures I find on the Web, but they aren't very precise, then I go out to the shop and start sawing and make things fit within the basic parameters of my "sketch" plan, then I screw up and come on-line to y'all to ask for advice on how to fix my error :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Quick question what do you consider something significant? Just so I can get a perspective on where your coming from.

Thanks

Monty

New User
Monty
No simple answer for me... I usually go to the web and look for ideas/inspiration, then think about it for a few months.... then buy some wood.... sketch up some plans... realize I don't have enough wood.... buy more wood... start cutting.... (oops)... buy MORE wood.... etc. :oops:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Quick question what do you consider something significant?
Not a jig(not that they are not significant). Anything that will take you more than a couple of days to complete.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I'm with Ron, I sorta use all of the methods together. In the beginning I look at pictures (web and magazines and catalogs) and make some preliminary sketches. After I get the primary dimensions, I try to make a cutting list of sorts and then start cutting and fitting as I go. I have used plans but it seems that I always modify as I go so the plans basically end up serving the same purpose as my preliminary sketches.

George

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I use Google Sketch-up to draw a full plan. That gives me a detailed list of what I need. From there I make a cut list of the wood needed and decide what joinery, style, finish, etc. It has helped me out a lot doing it this way as well. And of course I mill the wood for the entire project at the same time. That way it doesn't feel that I am milling every piece as needed. One thing that I do as well, is figure the 20% for waste. With a detailed plan I don't waste that much but the left over milled stock helps when I make a mistake and I have stock that is milled to the right specifications. Hope I helped.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I am with the rest of the group. You need to add all of the above. I go to the web, stores or books look for design ideas. Then sketch up something and jump right in and design, size and change as I go.

Last edited:

skeeter

New User
Charles
"All of the above!" I like to start with a picture, if possible, then sketch out changes I may want to make. After getting the style, then I will work on the measurements, jointery, and how much lumber and what finish.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I look for a picture from the web, print it out and establish an approximate scale for reference, then draw up the plans by hand.

I have built a few pieces with plans but have migrated to generating my own plans. I don't do a lot of detailed sketches at first. I break the project down into steps. When I begin a step, I write down notes, generate detailed sketches (ie, mortise details), and also include "warning" statements (sneak up on final thickness, etc).

I have made fewer mistakes working from my plans...no, I didn't say ZERO mistakes! :lol: :lol:

Chuck

rhett

New User
rhett
I think it is a mixture of all suggestions. Really depends on your own style. I usually start cutting and then draw out anything "tricky" full scale on a sheet of 1/4 inch. I try to make sure all piece/sizes are porportional with one another based off the golden mean.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well, first of all I stay away from complicated projects :eusa_shhh

Like most, I look at magazines, web, etc., for ideas. But generally I look at the wood I have and try to figure out what to do with it. :eusa_thin Occasionally I will make very crude sketchs or use Illustrator or Freehand to create a template for curves, etc.

Guess that explains a lot, huh :cool:
Roger

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I generally "default" to DAYG (design as you go) but on anything significant I will at least sketch out a rough plan. One of the most important lessons learned from a former customer is to prototype anything complex, in inexpensive and easy to work materials first and at 100% scale whenever possible. Has worked for me.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
I look at pictures until I have a good idea of how I want it to look when finished.
Then draw it up in my head, then start cutting8-O

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
Usually I start and the bottom of the list - start cuttin, then shift to the top - drawing, and then finish up by researching on the web....Why reinvent the wheel -somebody has probably done it already. I'm talking about all on the same project of course!

Seriously, I like to attempt period pieces so I'm always on the hunt for good, detailed plans. There is plenty of plans out there but a majority lack the detail to actually build from them.

M

McRabbet

I do the first two but not the last two in your poll, but it depends on the project. For commission projects where I get a request from a client, we sit down for a "scoping session" and I do a concept drawing in CAD. After they review and we solidify the design concept and scope, I do a detailed drawing (or drawings, a material take-off, a cost estimate and I draft a cost/contract agreement. On thing I may build for myself, like a Toy Box I'm doing for my grandson for Christmas or a CMS work station for my shop, I'll investigate plans and finished projects from many sources including magazines and our site photo galleries. Once I've found the style I want, then I design it in CAD and proceed with material take-off and cost estimate.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS