Please consider consolidating the donation drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
We have too many things running promoting the donation drive. We have a sticky thread.
We have an announcement in the top of the screen in the announcements.
We have the enlarged Donate to North Carolina Woodworker in the mini navbar
And we have the Scrolling marquee

The donation drive is all important for the survival of this wonderful place we call home. However the vision that Steve has set forth for donations calls for low keyed donation requests. It has worked in the past and I think it needs to be toned down a little. Please think about it, and consider consolidating the drive. Possibly alternate the announcement and the marquee, etc.....

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I can see it either way.

My $0.02 is this is up to the Development Director to call.

But I'm happy to turn off/rotate/remove whatever you wish me to.

Jim

TracyP

Tracy
I can see it either way.

Jim

I will send the development director a PM.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I think the Development Director prefers Donations to PM's :p

Jim

(Yes, I'm a funny guy):eek:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
My bad, I didn't jump into a discussion. I get a bit task oriented at times.

I agree that there are quite a few donation things going on on the page. Rotating them sounds like a good approach.

Last quarter, I broached the unpopular suggestion of a "required splash page" set for all users. Not a daily or every time they log in. It could be once at the start of the drive.

Jim

toolman

New User
Chad
Steve all ways gad the Scrolling marquee..

I can see it either way.

We can do as Jim said.. :cool:

TracyP

Tracy
I threw this out there as food for thought and discussion. I do seem to remember the scrolling marquee in the last drive. I was just thinking if I was a regular user or a new user and I saw four things on the home page asking me for money, would that be overkill and cause me not to click on either one of them?:dontknow::dontknow:. Really just thinking out loud and putting it up for discussion.

M

McRabbet

I implemented the two things that Stuart asked for in his thread -- made the Thread sticky and added the single line to the Announcements. I think that's enough and would recommend we remove the marquee. Remember that people can close the Announcements window, so it is not always present.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I was of the opposite opinion than Robb, but he makes a good point. Since people can close the announcements get rid of the crolling reminder.

M

McRabbet

I've turned the marquee off, but left the text there in case others think it should be turned back on. If people do not refresh the page they were on, it will continue to showm so just refresh and it will go away.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Rob is correct in that I asked for the thread to made sticky and also put into the announcement section. I didn't ask for the scrolling marquee, simply because I didn't think of it. Steve has had it in the past and I personally think it is very effective. The donate button is something that I doubt many people even notice so I really don't think that if a factor here. My preference would be to have the scroller, remove the sticky, and remove the link in the announcement section leaving only the dates of the drive. I clearly understand the need for sensitivity here but also fully understand that we have to replace approximately $6,000 of "lost" revenue. It is a time to be proactive, not to be timid. Some very well may be anticipating a problem that may not exist. If we take a more assertive stance this quarter we can judge the effectiveness of that stance at the end of the drive. Regular participants here know that changes have been made and that Steve's financial committment has been reduced and should realize that this site needs dollars to operate. The first quarter after those changes is the perfect time to ask for the support of the membership. I've spent the last 32 years in sales and know that you have to present your product and ask for the sale. The same concept applies here. If we don't ask, we won't receive.

M

McRabbet

I'll reactivate the marquee and will remove the link from the Announcement line. I'm 100% in support of Stuart 's comments.

Done.

Last edited by a moderator:

TracyP

Tracy
I too agree 100% with Stuart. As I said before, I put this out there for discussion. Thanks so much for all of the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS