I'm looking to eventually get away from having to
buy all my wood from Lowe's etc. I already have
a used jointer that I was able to get set up and
running good, but now I need a planer. So, my
questions are:

What do y'all recommend?
What is most cost effective?
What do you use?
Brands with easiest knife change and setting?
What are your experiences with various brands, if any?
Included accessories?

Thanks for all your help.

Archie.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have the Ridgid R4330 from the borg. I love it, although I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first planer. It is a three knife planer and the material come out slick with almost no sanding. Dust collection is good also.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Archie - I think you are asking the wrong people the wrong questions. Since *you* are not buying the tool for *us*, it'd be better to find out what your needs are, rather than tell you why we bought what we bought and hope those reasons apply to you !

Answer these questions and we can help:

1) how much wood do you expect to plane per-day/per month over the next several years ?
2) do you have access to 240V power or are you prepared to pay to put it in ?
3) what's your $ budget ?
4) do you have any space constraints ? Especially do you have floorspace you can dedicate to this tool ?

You've already mentioned that ease of knife-change is a concern for you and that's helpful to know.

-Mark

tonyps

New User
Tony
Hi all,

I have been using the Delta 22-580 for a while now, and it really is a good work horse for my small needs. I have used it for soft and hard lumber.
The blades are not expensive and are easy to replace. As long as you remember to lock it down after adjustments, snipe is minimal, if any at all.
My only complaint is I wish the adjustment scale were up on top.
My $.07 worth...

Tony ...

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Dewalt 735 is my vote (again, this is a popular topic)

Can't imagine much better for that price range. :thumbs_up

cpw

New User
Charles
Archie,

I'm in the same boat. After all my research, looking at posts here and on other boards, if I was going to go out and buy today, for MY purposes (small shop, occasional intense use) I would get either the Delta 22-580 or the Rigid 4330. You might find a used Delta on eBay or Craig's List, but the Rigid is too new for there to be too many people getting rid of them yet. If I could get a real deal I might also consider the Dewalt DW735 - but I don't like the idea of having to pay extra for extension tables and it has a reputation for the knives dulling quicker.

My 2 cents.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Since you're just starting out, a "lunchbox" planer (~13" capacity) is probably your best bet. If you ever get serious about planing large quantities or wide boards, you can consider upgrading to a larger machine.

There are lots of good options in the lunchbox category. The DeWalt 735 is the most expensive, but gets rave reviews on finish quality. However, it does not come with infeed/ outfeed tables standard like most models. Slightly cheaper and still giving very good results are the Ridgid 4330, Ridgid TP1300 (older 2-knife model), Delta 22-580, Makita 2012NB, DeWalt 734 and Craftsman 21759. They're all very similar. Even the Ryobi did fine in the last test by FWW if I recall correctly. Changing the knives is pretty simple on all of them, I have the Ridgid TP1300, which is supposed to be somewhat 'fussy', and it takes less than 15 minutes. 10 if you remember not to put them in upside down :)

I think the machine Doug is offering would be an excellent choice, especially with all the accessories included. You're not likely to find a better deal.

gator

George
Corporate Member
A good used unit of any brand in the 'lunchbox' style might suit your purposes. Check out craigslist-raleigh under tools and plug 'planer' in the search box.

George

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Bas: "I think the machine Doug is offering would be an excellent choice, especially with all the accessories included. You're not likely to find a better deal."

I knew there was a reason I liked you. :rotflm:

Doug

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I wanted/needed a planer. The reviews on the DeWalt735 were all good. There are other options not the least of which was the DeWalt 734 at a hundred and change less. I bought the DeWalt 735. It did NOT come with infeed outfeed plates. They are available for about $60. The machine was on sale at Big BLue - I bought the 735 and a Delta adjustable table to mount it on for less than the sticker price. With the cart/table I have I can't really USE the infeed outfeed tables so no loss not having something I can't use and am glad I didn't have to pay for.
I just happened to have a gift card or two left over from Christmas.... influenced the store but not the machine.
BUT- find the machine that will meet your needs.
This one will exceed mine ~
Good luck with your purchase!!

woodrat

New User
Archie
Archie - I think you are asking the wrong people the wrong questions. Since *you* are not buying the tool for *us*, it'd be better to find out what your needs are, rather than tell you why we bought what we bought and hope those reasons apply to you !

Answer these questions and we can help:

1) how much wood do you expect to plane per-day/per month over the next several years ?
2) do you have access to 240V power or are you prepared to pay to put it in ?
3) what's your $ budget ?
4) do you have any space constraints ? Especially do you have floorspace you can dedicate to this tool ?

You've already mentioned that ease of knife-change is a concern for you and that's helpful to know.

-Mark

Mark,

I figured that starting with the guys who already have a planer in use
would be good. It is also good to know what they like/dislike about what
they currently have, and why.

But, to answer your questions, 1) I don't expect to do a lot of BF a month
=very light use.

2) I do have access to 220vac.

3) Very small budget. I'm on a fixed income. SSDI to be exact.

4) Yes, I do have space constraints. My shop is very small, so, it would
have to be put on a stand with casters. Only my TS, DP, RAS have
dedicated floor space.

Does that help you in answering my original post? :wsmile:

Thanks for the response.

Archie

woodrat

New User
Archie
Archie,

I'm in the same boat. After all my research, looking at posts here and on other boards, if I was going to go out and buy today, for MY purposes (small shop, occasional intense use) I would get either the Delta 22-580 or the Rigid 4330. You might find a used Delta on eBay or Craig's List, but the Rigid is too new for there to be too many people getting rid of them yet. If I could get a real deal I might also consider the Dewalt DW735 - but I don't like the idea of having to pay extra for extension tables and it has a reputation for the knives dulling quicker.

My 2 cents.

Charles,

Thanks for that insight about the DW735. That would be my choice except
for the price. It is a bit on the outside for me. But, you are right about
having to buy extension tables. Other comparable planers come with them
so why does DeWalt charge for theirs? All their products are that way.
CMS, have to buy work hold down clamps separately.

Thanks,

Archie

woodrat

New User
Archie
Thanks to everyone that replied to my post.
What a helpful bunch of folks. Glad to be a part
of such a wonderful group.

Doug, I've not forgotten about you. :icon_thum

Thanks again.

Woodrat aka Archie

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
A good used unit of any brand in the 'lunchbox' style might suit your purposes. Check out craigslist-raleigh under tools and plug 'planer' in the search box.

George
Based on your requirements, between George and Bas I think they pretty much covered it. Bas gave a list: "Ridgid 4330, Ridgid TP1300 (older 2-knife model), Delta 22-580, Makita 2012NB, DeWalt 734 and Craftsman 21759."

To which I would add the Delta 22-560, which is/was the precursor to the current 22-580. I think it's out of production now.

Since you have 240V service available, I'd also keep my eyes open for a used 15" Jet, Delta, Grizz (or 18" Woodmaster - see Jeremy's thread) IFF it falls in your budget. Unlikely, but could happen..again, see Jeremy's thread.

My last comment: you mentioned that the planer will need to be on a mobile base. None of the portables come with stands or mobile bases. And check out the weight of the machines if you have visions of lifting them as they generally range from 70 - 90#.

-Mark

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I'll throw in my $.02. I have the DeWalt 734 and am very happy with it. Blade life is good, and I can lift it onto my work bench when I need it (weighs about 70+). Comes with infeed/outfeed tables, tools needed for blade change, 4" chip chute and adapter for a 2 1/4" shop vac hose. I have a Ridgid 14 gal shop vac that pulls the chips out fine (fills up fast tho).
Which ever one you buy, make sure you can get blades locally unless you buy on the net.
Does a real good job, especially for the price. Set for final cut at 1/32" gives beautifully smooth finish.

Go

gator

George
Corporate Member
If you go the used route, and find one, don't overlook the DeWalt 733. It is a workhorse and uses resharpenable knives that are easy to set.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors