Picking up where I left off in Hickory with the tool chest build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Comiing home from the Extravaganza, I didn't have any shop time this week until Saturday. So I started with the back and move to the lid next.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
With that complete I can move toward the tool rack and saw tills, hardware and handles. I'm going to use white oak for the handles and the tool tills. I'm still running colors through my head, undecided as of yet. When it's finished I'll be begging for some tools to add to it and it will be raffled off to raise money for the website. I'm having fun. I'll post more later this week.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    696.9 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    708.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    702.6 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    574.6 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    560 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    700.8 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    616.5 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    595.9 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    532 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    752.2 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    780.4 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    734.4 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_2299.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG
    619.1 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    653.3 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    690.3 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    729.2 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    655.4 KB · Views: 607

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm still running colors through my head, undecided as of yet. When it's finished I'll be begging for some tools to add to it and it will be raffled off to raise money for the website. I'm having fun. I'll post more later this week.

Just an idea, Richard, on the color of the toolbox. How about the NCWW colors on the outside of the box and maybe, the NCWW logo on the front?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will probably have a saw or two that I can donate to the tool chest. Maybe some other hand tools.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
There's just nothing that can compare to traditional woodcraft to soothe the soul. Thank you for sharing Richard, your demo was unique as nobody demonstrates traditional woodcraft around about anymore. Kudos friend!:icon_cheers

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking good Richard!
Can't wait to see it finished!

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just an idea, Richard, on the color of the toolbox. How about the NCWW colors on the outside of the box and maybe, the NCWW logo on the front?
Raymond, I think the color is a good idea, I'm planing on putting one of the bumper stickers and the sticker I got from Colman for the Extraviganza inside the chest much the way I have stickered the inside of mine. I'll tell though the darker color will look good against the white oak.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking good. What's the name of that plane? looks very interesting
Ok, there were three planes pictured in the post. A no.7, a no.48 tunge and groove plane, and a no. 71 router plane. In that order, I hope that answers your question.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I will probably have a saw or two that I can donate to the tool chest. Maybe some other hand tools.

I'll look around and see what I may have to contribute as well.

Richard, if you get a chance maybe provide some ideas on what you may be looking for for tools or a list if you have it narrowed down.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I sure will, it'll have to wait until late next week but I sure will put together a list of the tool chest needs. I would like to thank you and everyone in advance for your generosity in this.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good morning to all, I'm sorry for not being around much this week, the day job part of my life had a few wrenches to throw at me this past week and it was rather physical as well, so needless to say I'm tired and little sore as well. My whining aside, ill start with some suggestions for tooling up the tool chest. I have a no. 78 rebate plane and a no. 4 smoothing plane to add to this, but we will need joinery saws, a 9 or 10" dovetail saw, a carcase saw 12 to 14" cross cut, a tenon saw 14" filed rip. a couple panel saws 20 to 24 " plate length filed one rip one cross cut. chisels 3 to 4, 1/4", 1/2", 3/4, screw drivers 3 to 4 flat head and Phillips. a brace with a few bit to go with it. a router plane, a jack plane, a joiner plane, and Im sure there are more I can post and I'm certainly not expecting to fulfill the entire list but this is for NCWW and I hope will do some good with in the woodworking community. I can post more later and ill be back in the shop more this week so ill post up dates then. if I do not hear from anyone I'm wishing everyone a happy Thanks Giving.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I can put together a brace and some bits, and possibly a jack plane. I also have a few block planes if you can use one or two.

Have to figure out how to get stuff from me to you.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can contribute a dovetail saw and at least one 20-24" saw - not sure if I have both an extra cross-cut and rip but I might. Would it be OK if one of them is a project saw that needs sharpening only - in good shape otherwise? Hopefully all of these would be Disston or derivatives. I'll have to go through my stock.

I'll also have to figure out how to get these to you.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mark that sounds great, at least one block plane would work. And Ken I think that would be good, noting wrong with a little project saw at all. We all have to start somewhere and this is a good jump start project. Thank you both kindly.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
attachment.php
attachment.php
So after a busy couple of weeks I finally spent a few hours in the shop today. I started processing the white oak parts and cut the molding detail on the fall front and the lid.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Next up mount the hardware pre mount the oak parts and then start the finishing. After that I'll turn the handles and mount them as well. More later this week. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    781.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    560.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2380.JPG
    IMG_2380.JPG
    834 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2381.JPG
    IMG_2381.JPG
    709.2 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2382.JPG
    IMG_2382.JPG
    505.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2383.JPG
    IMG_2383.JPG
    661.1 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2385.JPG
    IMG_2385.JPG
    593.8 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    569.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2387.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    598.2 KB · Views: 300

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing the build and the noble cause its intended for. I've alway found traditional woodworking therapeutic.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So, I have been really busy lately but I have found some time to put into this little guy.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

On this one I chose to modify the hinge so there would not be any exposed screws on the outside of the chest.
I now have a good wash coat of shellac on all the parts and I'm ready to start painting this bad boy. After that I'll need to make the handles mount them and the tool racks.

Attachments

• IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2449.JPG
    569.7 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    585.1 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2451.JPG
    IMG_2451.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG