Picking up where I left off in Hickory with the tool chest build

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Richard,

PM me your snail mail address and I'll get a USPS box on the way to you with a Crosscut Full Size saw and a Dove Tail saw to add to the toolchest.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So, I have been really busy lately but I have found some time to put into this little guy.

On this one I chose to modify the hinge so there would not be any exposed screws on the outside of the chest.
I now have a good wash coat of shellac on all the parts and I'm ready to start painting this bad boy. After that I'll need to make the handles mount them and the tool racks.
Richard,
Where did you get those hinges?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, these came from Lee Valley. They carry several styles and sizes. I then had to bend them, so I heated them to a red hot and bent them to the slope of the chest allowing them to lay flat with the lid closed and making the lid self supporting when open. I did not do this on my personal box for several reasons, wishing I had after the fact, maybe later this year I'll pull the top board lose and redo the hinge arrangement on mine, or maybe not. I have to say I like the hinge arrangement on this one better. So bending them wasn't to bad, the only issue was I set off the fire alarm in the house and scared the crap out of the cats not mention I sure wasn't expecting it. Thank goodness Mona wasn't home I would have had some explaining to do.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So I was wondering how this looks to everyone
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    694.5 KB · Views: 190

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
At the moment it's turning yellow
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2474.JPG
    IMG_2474.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2471.JPG
    IMG_2471.JPG
    716.2 KB · Views: 183

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, I was truly wondering if this color is close enough to the website color. Any feedback?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Are you putting the brown over the yellow, then distressing it? If so, I would say that is pretty close to the NCWW colors. The distressing in the first pic doesn't look too "natural". I'm long on critique, but short on how-to. :icon_scra

Is that milk paint?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you putting the brown over the yellow, then distressing it? If so, I would say that is pretty close to the NCWW colors. The distressing in the first pic doesn't look too "natural". I'm long on critique, but short on how-to. :icon_scra

Is that milk paint?
i was playing with a crackle medium to see what the reaction was and to see the colors. You're right that doesn't look very natural yet. And yep that's Milk Paint. It's the fourth project I've done with the product, but the first one useing the crackle medium. It's going to take a couple more sample boards.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
I think the colors match the site quite well, but was also unsure about the distressing. Would definitely be interested to see some more samples of the different styles of distressing.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
I used milk paint on my Dutch Tool Chest too. I chose the same colors as Chris Schwarz, red base color with black topcoat. I love this chest!!! I work out of it every day and it houses my most frequently used tools perfectly. This chest has survived 2 years of expansion and contraction and the top has not cracked or distorted at all (great historical design). Good luck with your crackle experiments and we are excited to see the end results.

Peace,
-Aaron

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Aaron, the chest I work out of is of the same design and has held up very well too. I'll be back on this finish this week.
Bromley, I'll do a few more samples to demo the rub through, and some more crackling.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

So it's been awhile without an update, I've been busy with other projects and I'm happy to get back to this. More to come

Attachments

• IMG_2710.JPG
    IMG_2710.JPG
    591.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2711.JPG
    IMG_2711.JPG
    683 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2714.JPG
    IMG_2714.JPG
    572.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2715.JPG
    IMG_2715.JPG
    527.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2716.JPG
    IMG_2716.JPG
    554.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2717.JPG
    IMG_2717.JPG
    546.7 KB · Views: 199

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking really good Richard. Proud to be a minor part of the tool part of the project.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
One for the weekend
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    684.6 KB · Views: 180

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
And for the record the crakel medium was not good to work with on this project that was abandoned.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    587.4 KB · Views: 170

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have a skewed shoulder plane i can donate if needed. It's old and made of wood. That's about all I know about it.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Fred, I think I've got it covered for now.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
attachment.php
I ment to post this a while back, so that Phil knows these clamps get used a lot around my shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    758.8 KB · Views: 130
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS