Opinions on sub $500 tablesaw wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
A buddy of mine is looking for a tablesaw in he sub $500 range and wanted some opinions. My initial thought was ... spend more! :lol:

What are your opinions on good saws in this range for general hobbiest woodworking?

Here is one he is considering ...

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/store_item.php?iID=250&arrPath=1,12,63,p250

C10FL_web.jpg_prod_mx.jpg

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Jeremy, I hear nothing bad about these saws, I just don't know anyone that actually owns one. My local Lowe's cannot seem to keep 'em in stock, apparently selling more than a few a month. FWIW, DeWalt uses Hitachi tools as performance benchmarks.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Bump!

Not too sure about the Ryobi stuff ... would have a hard time recommending that to a friend ... considering anything I've had from them hasn't lived up to my expectations. Is the Ryobi tablesaw good?

wilkesland

New User
Barry Arney
May I suggest a used saw. I purchased my 12" Jet contractor saw a couple of years ago for $300 and have been very, very happy with it. I upgraded from a Ryobi BT 3000 which I was not very happy with, but the price was right - free from my brother in law, who also was not happy with it.

Barry

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Exercise a little patience. Grab one of the $200 Bies fences from Lowes, then watch Craigslist for a used 10" Delta contractor's saw. Locally here in RDU there have been at least a half dozen on Craigslist for less than $250. $250 for the saw, plus $200 for the fence and he is set for life. Jeremy Taylor litterally stole his. I have picked up a couple, one for $225 (great condition) and another for $100 ( complete with a case of rust, but solid otherwise.) One here locally was $225, and included an HTC mobile base. Go by Klingspor's and look on the bulletin board also.

newtonc

New User
jak
Ryobi BT3100 is a nice saw; I had one for a few years. However, they are no longer available NIB; Ryobi has discontinued that particular model.

What about a Jet contractor saw like

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5852
($499 at Woodcraft)

or

http://www.amazon.com/JET-708301K-JWTS-10JF-Horsepower-Contractor/dp/B00006WP0Z
($485 with free shipping).

I have the latter one (JWTS-10JF) and I loves it.

And through the end of July,Woodcraft has 10% off all machines.I just picked up my new Rikon bandsaw there today.

lottathought

New User
Michael
FWIW...
I picked up the Ridgid TS3650 after I read the reviews on it.
So far, I have been very happy with it.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have used both the JET JWTS-10JF and the Ridgid TS3650 rather extensively lately... I think the JET has a power advantage over the Ridgid. I say this having ripped some pretty thick maple on both saws, the Ridgid seemed to bog down more, and that was using exactly the same blade (Freud glue-line rip) actually, the motor even looks smaller than my JET, but they are rated the same. I remember reading somewhere, in one the WW mags, that they felt the JET is rated somewhat conservatively at 1.5 hp. I do know that it would regularly pop a 15 amp breaker in my shop.... but that circuit was shared with some other things in the house, and that it has blown (on start-up) a 20 amp breaker once.

that being said, the Ridgid has a 36" fence (which can actually be stretched to 37.5 in a pinch - there is good suppport for both ends of the fence out there) while the JET has a 30", and the BORG's saw has more cast iron on the top (even with the open webbing), and that GREAT mobile base that can only be had with that saw now.

neither one has great dust collection, though the Ridgid does have a shroud around the blade that helps somewhat.

Hope this input helps!

Nativespec

New User
David
I too would buy a used Delta or Jet contractors saw from CL-and I would stay away from Ryobi. I looked at the Hitachi and it seemed to have some clever design, but lacked the ruggedness.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
If your buddy can get to Woodcraft, I think a 10" Jet (under $500) will fit his needs nicely.

R

rickc

I also had a Ryobi, then moved up to the Rigid TS3650. The Ryobi worked ok for me, but it was vastly underpowered. It was also a bit challenging to get some of the jigs you see to fit on it. It did have a number of the highly touted features - sliding table, decent dust collection and a splitter that moved with the blade. However, as stated before it was really underpowered for doing anything more than cutting "1 by" stock, and maybe if fed carefully some "2 by" stuff.

The Rigid is really nice. Could it use a little more power - of course, I think we ALL have some "Tim Taylor" in us. However, I have not had a job the 3650 could not handle. The ease of removal of the blade guard makes it something I actually USE! The fence and blade were dead on accurate out of the box. I really enjoy the mobility the herc-u-lift base gives it. I have not regretted if for a moment since I bought it.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Jeremy,

Have your buddy get in touch with Amy Dowden (adowden) here on the forum. She has a Grizzly that she is wanting to get rid of at a really good price. I thought about getting it, but am holding off for a couple reasons (none of which are the saw). My dad has the same saw and it is a good piece of equipment. I think Amy still has the saw!

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Thanks for all of the valuable opinions on this topic!

My buddy lives in central Florida, so anything local might be a stretch, but there is a Woodcraft down there so I might send him that way.

:icon_thum :eek:ccasion1

Sully

New User
jay
Don't rule out the JWTS-10JF (Amazon link). I personally think it has a better fence system than the Jet version Woodcraft sales, although both are fairly good in that price range.

R

rickc

Thanks for all of the valuable opinions on this topic!

My buddy lives in central Florida, so anything local might be a stretch, but there is a Woodcraft down there so I might send him that way.

:icon_thum :eek:ccasion1

Oh be a good bud. Locate one and ship it COD! What are friends for? :-D

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
From my friend (Josh) .... Can you thank everyone on the NCW site for me... let them know that I really appreciate their feedback.

He said he's heading to Woodcraft to take a look at the Jet.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i haven't read the whole thread so if this is a duplicate my apologies, but BOSCH is coming out with a contractor saw with a true riving knife that sounds like a great buy. i think they were planning to unveil it at the show. I didn't get a chance to look for it at their booth though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS