November 12 Hand Plane Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
It was my pleasure meeting all of you. Thank you Bill for your generous hospitality. It may have seemed like I was working too hard, but I enjoyed every minute. Mike, thank you for your patience with my constant stream of questions. I practiced a bit at home with the cambered plane iron. It's amazing how efficient it is at knocking down the high and low spots of a rough board compared to a straight blade. I learned volumes from you guys, and I've definitely caught the hand tool bug. :)

Mike I'm up for anything you want to teach.

-Lonnie

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
It was my pleasure meeting all of you. Thank you Bill for your generous hospitality. It may have seemed like I was working too hard, but I enjoyed every minute. Mike, thank you for your patience with my constant stream of questions. I practiced a bit at home with the cambered plane iron. It's amazing how efficient it is at knocking down the high and low spots of a rough board compared to a straight blade. I learned volumes from you guys, and I've definitely caught the hand tool bug. :)

Mike I'm up for anything you want to teach.

-Lonnie

You definitely have a great working tool now. I didn't realize you were right up the road from me. I'm over in Davidson.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
It looks like there was plenty of information for all. Are there any plans for a January workshop?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Never use them, always make it up as I go. Different every time and always good.

How about my place mid january? Might work in some kinda shop time if enough interest.

Cornbread fritters? Jalapeno cheese dip?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Fried Cornbread Fritters

Ingredients
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 large egg
5 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped

Directions
Stir together cornmeal, sugar, flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Beat together egg and 1 tbsp. oil in a small bowl. Beat egg mixture into dry ingredients. Mix well. Heat remaining 4 tbsps. oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Fry fritters until browned on both sides. Drain fritters on paper towels. Serve hot.

Makes about 2 dozen small fritters.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Here's a good chili recipe for you to try.

Ingredients

4 strips bacon, diced
2 1/2 pounds leg or shoulder of venison, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green onions
2 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 small can tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon cilantro fresh or dried
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
Salt and pepper
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Directions
In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until the fat is rendered, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and transfer to paper-lined plate to drain. Add the venison to the hot oil in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally and in batches if necessary, until well seared. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onions, garlic and saute over medium-low heat until tender. Stir in the vinegar and the tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the dry spices, chopped tomatoes and the beef stock. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the sauce is very thick and flavorful. Add the venison to the pot and cook, stirring, until just cooked through and hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Check the seasoning and serve with the grated cheese.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Never use them, always make it up as I go. Different every time and always good.

How about my place mid january? Might work in some kinda shop time if enough interest.

Cornbread fritters? Jalapeno cheese dip?

Thats usually how I end up doing it myself. I've been pretty pleased so far. :) Cornbread fritters and Jalapeno cheese your talking my language.. :)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks for the chili recipe. That look pretty good as well. I'll have to try some this weekend.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS