November 12 Hand Plane Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This will be at Bill's shop in Liberty, if you have been there you know what a fine place to work it is and if you haven't you will be in awe of the space and organization.

Our aim is to show and discuss old hand planes as you would find at a flea market or auction, show what to look for, what to pass over, how to clean and adjust, where to find missing or damaged parts, how to sharpen and adjust and finally how to use old hand planes.

We are not concerned with collector value or restoring rare antiques. We want to use the great planes that are out there wasting away. Most of the old Stanley, Craftsman, Record and other brand planes made before 1950 or so are much better quality than the affordable planes being made today. They just need a little TLC.

I counted last night and I have nearly twenty hand planes that I use and the most I paid for any was $40 except for the #113 circular plane which i consider to be a specialty tool and not one of the common planes. Some of these I paid only 5-10 each. So, you can build a working tool set for little money and some work.

If there is enough interest I will order some parts to have on hand for repairs.

If you bring planes please tie a tough paperboard tag with your name to the tote or frog. You may not recognize it after the workshop.

Please feel free to bring your planes to check out, admire, ask about and work on.

Please let me know, in this thread so I can keep it all together.

These are the names I have For Nov 12.

TedAS

Bill Clemmons

Wooduser

Bryan S

toolferone maybe

bwat maybe

Kevin Craig (rcflyer23)

TBradley190

tryingtokeepmyfingers

SawBuck - Lonnie from Kannapolis

LeftyTom

Steve W

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just FYI. I'll send out directions to my shop about 3 days before the workshop. I'll wait to see if we have any cancellations or last minute additions.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
For those planning on attending the Nov. 12 workshop, here are some pics from yesterday's clinic. Everybody left w/ at least one plane tuned up and ready to go to work. So be sure to bring yours on the 12th.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
THREE PLACES OPEN for this Saturday's handplane workshop.

We've had three cancellations, so we're opening it up to the first three people to respond. If you've had a last minute change of plans and would like to come, just post a reply here. And remember, it's free. :eusa_danc

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
We had another good workshop yesterday. Once again, everyone went home w/ at least one finely tuned hand plane, and the knowledge to restore many more. And of course, we have pics, just to prove it happened. :gar-Bi And many thanks to Mike Davis for conducting these workshops, and his willingness to share his time and skills w/ others. :eusa_clap

IMG_2458.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
We had another good workshop yesterday. Once again, everyone went home w/ at least one finely tuned hand plane, and the knowledge to restore many more. And of course, we have pics, just to prove it happened. :gar-Bi And many thanks to Mike Davis for conducting these workshops, and his willingness to share his time and skills w/ others. :eusa_clap

Bill

Bill you shop looks like it could be a set for a TV Show. Thanks for hosting yesterday and thanks Mike for spending the time teaching us and showing us how to tune these planes. I can now confidently go and get the flea market finds and know how to get them working in top shape. I'm really happy with my two planes that I tuned with your guidance yesterday.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Yes we did have a good workshop. Thank you Bill and Mike for putting it on, and for some great instruction. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I was pleased to learn that I had done pretty good tuning one before the workshop, but that does not mean I did not learn a plenty in the few hours there. Got some good advice on technique and an excellent idea on how to repair the tote screw threads on the # 4 I was given.

Kevin brought his wooden planes he recently posted the building process on. :icon_thum It seamed that Steve W was having the most fun turning his # 6 into a great scrub plane. Now, Lonnie (Sawbuck) appeared to be working way too hard, but doing a job on that plane iron. Need to take a lesson from Comet, who had the right idea. :gar-La; It was a pleasure meeting you Lonnie.

IMG_2464.JPG

Steve W

New User
Steve
Glad to see everyone there and as usual, I learned a lot. Yes, now I've got a big and little scrub plane - I now have to learn how to master these all to change board thickness and flatten them. My "Farm Fresh" No 6 and No 7 look and work a lot better now, and Mike pointed out some problems I had with my No 4C - which I was able to correct.
Again, I was surprised at how much I got done!
Thanks again to Mike & Bill for making this possible!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS