Newfguy post in moderation queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
This guy just posted and I didn't catch that he was not nc'er until he post. Take a look and let me know your opinios. Please take no action, just your feedback.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A policy is a policy, and he's not from NC. But he is a nice guy who I recognize from Woodnet. Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I just found another one snoron and I suspended him too, awaiting an :BangHead: explanation.

Ah, here is his explanation

Steve,

I am a teacher of wood and stained glass in Utah. I have family in Durham, NC. I find that your site is a very good source for me to reference for classroom use.

Please reconsider my account.

Respectfully,

Ron

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
see what happens when you do a good job, all the foreigners want in. I could rent them a room in my shop for a nominal fee giving them part time NC residency. :lol:

Seriously, I don't know what is best to do here. The obvious intent was a "local" site where people could share and also get together, etc. My one concern of getting either too big or too broad is that it becomes less personal and the tendency to see the flame attacks, etc. that you see elsewhere will likely increase. That can be controlled to a certain extent through aggressive moderation but that can get a bit ugly too.

How's that for "I don't know either"

clowman

Clay Lowman
I could see a point of allowing the teacher access. He has an interested of NC ( relatives ). But that's a strech. Both people sound to be very good members. But, one of the things I like best about this site, is.. Hey.. I could run into someone at the local hardwood store from the site...

cskipper

Cathy
I, too, can see some sense to the school teacher with family in Raleigh as being an acceptable exception. The person from out of state (further than upstate SC) is much less in keeping with the goal of keeping this group "local". I'm sure that we will always be able to learn from everyone we meet, some good some not as good. You have worked well to manage exceptions but it looks like you are being presented with the opportunity of opening Pandora's box. How would you consistently grant access to one out of state person (again, excluding the SC folks) but not to another.

One of the many things I really love about this site that realistically we can meet a lot of our members. I know that if I had to go to Raleigh, or the coast that I could look up members and at least get to meet and put faces with the names. Members know NC vendors and can advise others about their experiences with them, often even giving a specific person to seek out for assistance. Another thing is the homey atmosphere, I am not afraid to ask questions or offer opinions because I know that I will not be ridiculed (possibly chuckled at - which is different and ok). Granted the last part doesn't depend on the physical locality (in state vs out of state) of the members, but there is a definite "southerness" here. Members are considerate and don't use the boards to rag (nasty-not kidding around) on each other. Rambling off topic isn't a horrible sin. Being female doesn't diminish my opinions, which is not always the case with folks from other geographic areas.

So, it sounds like I am not in favor of adding folks from out of state unless they live really close (e.g. upstate SC) or they have a fairly significant tie to the state (e.g. family they actually visit). Guess I could have just said that and saved you a lot of reading, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS