Newbe question.. red oak finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeP

New User
Wade
I'm rebuilding an outdoor chair and table for a friend. They are metal sides with slats for the chair seat / back and table top. The original wood is just worn out. So... I have some red oak from the L store that I am going to use for the slats. Slats measure 2.75 x 21.5". They normaly keep it under the poarch so it isn't exposed to a lot of rain or sun. What would YOU recommend for a finish? If it makes a difference to you the metal will be Duke blue...

Thanks for any advice.

Wade

JWBWW

New User
John
Do yourself a favor and buy some white oak. Red oak is usually a pretty poor choice for outdoor use. No matter how hard you try to keep them at bay, the bugs and the weather will have a whole lot more enjoyment than either you or your friend. With white oak the best results I have had have come from using teak oil and Watco and other penetrating oil finishes like Penofin. Varnishes, while they look terrific initially, begin to degrade quickly and set you on the road to constant upkeep. Oils are easy... when they look dull just slather some more on and let them be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS