New Raleigh guy here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrett

New User
Jarrett
Hi folks,

I'm Jarrett, fairly new to NC and also to woodworking. I started out with a power mitre saw, but after a couple of episodes of The Woodwright's Shop and reading "Hand Tool Essentials", got to thinking about using more hand tools. I sold off the power saw before moving here and am now recently starting up woodworking again, which is difficult as I'm in a condo. But, I'm a software engineer by trade, so it's nice to be able to make something you can hold in your hands at the end.

I'd like to learn more about Chinese joinery in the future, but I guess baby steps are in order, and I see myself practicing straight cuts for a while. The "ease" of power tools tempt me, but I feel that once I get my basics down, I'll be able to do a lot more with just a basic set of tools. I guess I'm still learning how expensive these hand tools are, though!

Right now I'm trying to figure out a good Western saw to start out with, and my eye's on some Crown Tools saws. Any advice on which to start out with for basic joinery? Gent's? Dovetail? Anything must be better than the x-acto saw I'm using right now.

Hope to take a local class soon and looking forward to learning from the group!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Jarrett,

Welcome to the Site, This is a great place for advice and all kinds at that.

Anyway I am not into the hand tools to much, but I wouldn't turn down a lesson or two.

I do know that it is nice to make something you can hold in your hands and one way and a very fast way to do it is on a Lathe... Check this out http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f32/fun-cherry-burl-21792/ This guy DaveO is awesome, he actually gave me his old Habor Freight Lathe and I am having a blast. It Instant Gratification!!! Within two hours or so you're done and have a nice Item to share with the world.

Anyway Sorry Jarrett... Don't know much about hand tools.

Enjoy NCWW,

jarrett

New User
Jarrett
Also, anyone try these "Pony" saws that Klingspor's sells? Where are they made in? I can't find any information about them on the web. (And has anyone else noticed how hard it is to google information about saws?)

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-...aysBetween=0&daysBetweenFix=0&monthsBetween=0

By their price, I wouldn't put much faith in them, but are they decent enough to start practicing with? Should I just stick with the Crown Tools saw?

Thanks--
Jarrett

jarrett

New User
Jarrett
Thanks for the welcome, MrAudio. I appreciate woodturning, but honestly, it's a path I'm trying to shy away from right now only because I'm trying to limit the toys that I buy!

The missus wants me to try making her some furniture, so that's how I can justify the toys that go with woodworking...

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Welcome, and you might hear some of us refer to turning as the Dark Side.

On saws, sort of a tough question to answer easily.

For the bucks, the new Veritas dovetail saw is getting a lot of positive press.

I use the $10 straight handle dovetail saw from Woodcraft. I also had to learn to file before it cut worth a darn. But thats not unusual for saws in that price range.

Depending how far down the hand tool path you wish to travel, when it comes to hand saws, check out the DVD Hand Saw Sharpening by Tom Law. It covers just about all you need to know on selection and tuning of hand saws. Western saws, that is.

Good luck and stay away from the Dark Side!

Jim

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Jarrett. Glad you found us. We are a mostly local tight knit group, so the help that you will receive will astound you. Just ask a question and the answers will be there.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the sawdust pile, Jarrett. I am mostly a power tool guy, but I have several hand tools that I use and enjoy. For dovetails and small cutting, there are several options here -- my personal small saws are a Crown "Gents Saw" and a few Japanese douzuki's. We have other members on the site (and in the Triangle area) that have small shops and are hand tool aficionados, so keep your eyes posted for good ideas. We look forward to your input, too and in case you haven't noticed, we like pictures, too!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Welcome

Good luck on your hand tool adventure!

There are several members who exclusively use hand tools!

I've met one such member. His screen n is 02blues.

Give him a PM and Im sure he would be glad to point you in right direction.

A super nice guy!

Matt

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Jarrett :icon_thum
Glad you joined us. We have a number of knuckle-dragging, neanderthal tool users on the site, just give them a day or two to see your post. Meanwhile be sure to check out the Hand Tool Forum.

Enjoy,
Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Jarrett!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I am sure that you will receive plenty of enjoyment here and plenty of recommendations for tool purchases!:gar-La;

Please stop by our photo gallery and post some pictures of your work.

Have fun and stay safe around those sharp saws, plane blades and chisels.

Wayne

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Jarrett. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That's really cool that you're getting into handtools. There are a few folks on here that do some incredible work with them. I'd look into the Woodwright's school in Pittsboro. $95 for a one day class, taught by Roy Underhill. There are a few threads on here about it. Just use the search box and type in "woodwright" or "roy" or "class". Glad to have you on board. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS