New Member from the Hickory area

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcardle

New User
Kevin
Hi Everyone - I came across the website today and ended up meeting some of you at The Molding Source in Mooresville. Those I met, including Rick the owner of the shop made me feel so at home (easy to do in the middle of that much wood to drull over) that I felt I would fit right in with all of you. I have been working with wood since I was old enough to lift a hammer (with a little help from my older brother). Of course it has been a learning experience all these years (shortly after the initial hammer incident, I blasted my thumb with that hammer; as just one example).

I've built homes, remodeled, and completed utility type projects for too many years to count up here, but when I left the trade, I began "enjoying" the art in the wood that had in my garages. Soon I found myself building all kinds of furniture projects for family and friends. I do it for the love of the wood that I "get" to use in these projects and the feeling of accomplishment that comes when a joint is fit-up just right or when a "plan comes together". Of course there are those "don't take yourself to seriously" moments too, when I laid everything out and cut everything backwards.:icon_cheers

In 2002, I got into lathe work, and I really enjoy making bowls, boxes, pens, oraments, etc... on my Powermatic 3520 lathe. I'm certainly no expert, but I seem to have some experience. I love cutting up wood on our property to see what's inside. It's like Christmas time when I was a boy - every time!! it would seem.

I'll do my best to contribute to the forums, and hope to meet many of you along the way.

Thanks for being here.
Kevin

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great to have you join. Rick is an awesome member of NCWW. Lots to drool over at his shop. Please post often and show us some of your work.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Kevin. Thanks so much for the introduction. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Please share some pictures of your work and feel free to jump right in at any time. :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Kevin!:icon_cheers

Glad that you joined us and look forward to reading your future posts and possibly seeing some pictures of your work.:wsmile:

A bunch of us were just out in Hickory yesterday attending the Klinspor show at the Convention Center. Great fun it was!!!

Have fun here with this fine bunch of sawdusters.

Wayne

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Welcome Kevin From another Kevin. This is a great site, you will find lots of inspiration and knowledge here. I look forward seeing your work. We love the pictures. :)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the site Kevin! Great to have another turner join the dark siders here :icon_thum.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our virtual sawdust pile, Kevin. We're happy that you found us and look forward to your participation.

kmcardle

New User
Kevin
Just wanted to thank all of you for the warm welcome. I am working on a table right now and hope to have some Pix for you tomorrow or the next day. Found a plan in a Week-end Woodcrafts magazine that looked pretty cool, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Also, working on repairing an antique game table for my wife's antique shop in Asheville. I had to pull it apart and fix a really bad repair job, and will have to remove the veneer top on the flip-top portion of the table. Anyone out there have a good way to remove old veneer from the substrate?

At any rate - thank you, I already feel at home in your sawdust pile.

Kevin

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Kevin,

Welcome to the group! Great to have you here!

With regards to removing veneer - Depending on the age of the table, the easiest way to remove the veneer may be with a heat gun - If the veneer was applied with hide glue, heat will reactivate it, and it will come right off - Even some of the PVA's wil reactivate with heat

Good luck!

bwat

New User
Bill
Welcome. It was nice to meet you and I'm looking forward to seeing the projects you pull together with that wood haul! :icon_thum

Kevin,
Great to have you here o NCWW...I'm in Hickory area also...So if you ever need any help just give me a shout. This is a great group, and you will find some really interesting articles and idea's.

Talk with you soon
Chris Brittain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors