New Member Chat: Guest Speaker Series featuring Scott Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Yes, there is another fantastic announcement to come out of last nights Chat!

Introducing our first[BANANA] "Guest Speaker"![/BANANA]

This months special guest is QSRO Guru, lumber guy and LARGE tool aficionado Scott Smith (scsmith42)!

Scott runs an amazing operation specializing in the milling and drying of QSRO.

Scott1_ct.JPG

scott4_ct.JPG

scott3_ct.JPG

Scott will join us on the Sept 2nd Chat to answer your questions around wood.

If you have some specific questions you'd like Scott to ponder, please post them here.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks guys; I'm looking forward to this.

For the call attendees, if you can post some questions or thoughts in advance, it will help me to tailor my comments to your interests. Thanks much.

Scott

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thanks guys; I'm looking forward to this.

For the call attendees, if you can post some questions or thoughts in advance, it will help me to tailor my comments to your interests. Thanks much.

Scott

what???? you don't have no teleprompter?:rotflm: whoa I think I stumbled on a tool that scott don't have yet! what do I win?????:rotflm: hope I can make the show Thursday.:icon_thum sounds like a good chat.:icon_thum I rarely get to be there and usually have to leave in a hurry but I will try.:gar-Bi

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well, I have always wondered what wood you'd suggest for a single slab workbench top.

Maybe 3" to 4" thick, 24" wide and at least 6' to 8' long.

What would be some of the issues around such a hunk of wood? I assume you would not want one that has the pith due to twisting issues?

If one board is not possible, how about two boards?

Thanks!
Jim

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I just looked at my schedule and I am flying back from NJ at 7pm on Thursday. :tinysmile_cry_t: Either way, I'll try to think of some questions to post here. :widea:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
If it was a bit unclear, and what isn't when I'm involved.....
[BANANA]
This chat is open to every member of North Carolina Woodworker![/BANANA]

So if you thought we only wanted to hear from new members, think no more!

Share any of those burning questions lurking deep in the back lower 1/3 of your medulla oblongatta!

This is your Brain on Quarter Sawn Red Oak

:gar-Bi

Jim

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Questions:

If I obtain some nicely kiln dried wood what can I do to prevent cupping, twisting, etc. when it sits in my garage shop and adjusts to the moisture content of its new environment?

I'm considering using oak for an outdoor bench project. Would Red or White Oak be the best choice for this project?

How long does it take to dry a load of oak in your kiln set up? What is the typical moisture loss from start to finish?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
What is the kiln schedule for QSRO?

Why does QSRO cost more than plain sawn red oak?

What is in mimumn small end diameter log that will make decent QSRO?

How much does QSRO weigh per board foot fresh off the log, how much dry fresh out of the kiln?

What parts of the tree make the best QSRO?

What is the best way to dry "heavy oak", boards over 8/4" thick?

define maximum amount of moisture content loss per day and what is it when drying differnt thickness of QSRO ie 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, 10/5, 12/4 ... etc. Is the a "formula"?

When sticking a pile of QSRO to air dry - what is the best sticker to use and why, what is the best size sticker and what is the best sticker spacing for air drying QSRO?

Why is a good idea to kiln dry QSRO after it has been air dried?

What about endgrain sealer - why is it important, when should it be applied and what does it do for me?

Explain drying shrinkage differences between QSRO vers plain sawn red oak?

If I think of more I'll post them

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Absolutely great chat. I was drinking it all in (no comments from you Jim). Sorry I had to leave early. Thanks so much to Scott for sharing all of his experience and wisdom. Looking forward to the next session(s).

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I was very late to the party. Thanks to Jim, we all have a chance to read the chat!
This was interesting and Scott did a super job. He had some backup experts with him, just in case. Not sure if it was planned that way or what...
Can't wait to see what is on tap next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors