New guy; Old tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Heath,

I haven't yet decided on a rear table design, but I'm definitely planning to make one. Right now I making do with roller stands when the boards are long. I hate doing it this way and it's a good incentive to get me going and build something soon.

Peachtree has a cast iron router table extension (I think intended for the left side of the saw) that you might want to look into if you are going to attach your router table to your saw. I had my router table attached to my last table saw and wasn't all that happy with it, so I'm building a separate router table this time. There's nothing specifically wrong with having your saw and router table together. It's just a personal preference on my part. The top and fence of my new router table will be from Mark Sommerfeld and the whole top will hinge up instead of having a removable insert, as I've had router table insert problems in the past. I like the size and design of Mark's tops and fences because they're very solid and his fences move and adjust very easily, but also become very solid when locked in position and they have T slots for featherboards in both the table and the fence as well as replaceable zero clearance inserts in the fences.

Charley

sapwood

New User
Roger
Fantastic job, Heath!
And we're glad you decided to post :icon_thum
Didn't you attend one of the area lunches????

BTW, if you need an extra "leg" for the Unifence extension, I have one. I upgraded to Unifence a year or so ago and left the original rail on back of TS and thus didn't need one of the legs. It's yours if you want it.

Roger

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Heath, all I can say is WOW!! That machine looks brand new, or better. Welcome to the site and to the group. I've still got an old bandsaw earmarked for you, and I would love to see what magic you work on that. The love for old machines has to make woodworking all the more fun. :gar-Bi

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Very nice job on that saw! Are you sure you don't just want to rebuild old machines instead of actually do woodworking with them? You have a talent for it :).

Rob

New User
Rob
Heath, that saw looks awesome, you did a great job. If you ever need any help, let me know. I'm in your neck of the woods, I'm about a mile off 421, north of 1.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Man, I can't believe I missed this thread - awesome restoration! Welcome to the site, even if belated :)

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks again guys. Cant wait to get these machines rebuilt and start making some sawdust.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Beautiful job on that saw, Heath! Welcome to the friendliest site on the 'net.

I had a 1963 Craftsman 8" contractor's tablesaw that I got from my dad. I gave it to my brother before I moved. If I had had a 10" cabinet saw like yours I probably would have done something similar to what you did.

I did have a 1950 Craftsman 4 1/2" jointer that I sold before I moved; it would have gone nicely with your other equipment. I bought it from an old WWII vet in New Hampshire and sold it before I moved here. That old iron was very well-made and can still be put to work as a modern tool if you're willing to do the mods like you did. I thought about retrofitting a modern fence to my dad's old saw but decided I needed a bigger (10") one anyway.

Good luck with your projects. It looks like you're well on your way!:eusa_danc

:kermit: Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors