Need some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

02ranger

New User
Matthew
Hey. Some of you may remember me as the one that won the piece of teak the other day at the picnic. For those that didn't make it to the picnic or don't remember it, this is a piece of teak wood that was put down as the decking on the USS North Carolina in 1941. I've had several people suggest either making pens out of it or some other thing. I've thought of making a clock out of it, or maybe not cutting it at all and somehow displaying it. I was just hoping you could all give me some ideas of what you would do with it, and maybe it'll help me decide what to do. Here are some pictures of it. Sorry for the quality, but I took the pictures with my cell phone and it didn't work just exactly as planned. Thanks in advance......Matt

J

jeff...

I would display it - use wood that is not as valuable to make the display stand or case.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Matthew - I would also display it. My suggestion would be to get a small model of the USS NC and mount that to the decking you have.

-Mark

sawduster

New User
Robert
I would display it also . I like the idea of the model . Perhaps you could commission one of our carving members to make one
Maybe even a scrolled profile as a 3 D compound cut :eusa_thin

cskipper

Cathy
I'd agree with mounting a small model of the ship (or is the correct term "boat") onto that piece of wood. It's much more valuable as the one piece - and you can add a narrative about when it was commissioned... I'd be tempted to keep the wood as the focus, not the model even if you get a really good model, since the object you are showing off is the wood. I'm pretty sure any scroller would be happy to cut one for you.

Glennbear

Glenn
I'd agree with mounting a small model of the ship (or is the correct term "boat") onto that piece of wood. It's much more valuable as the one piece - and you can add a narrative about when it was commissioned... I'd be tempted to keep the wood as the focus, not the model even if you get a really good model, since the object you are showing off is the wood. I'm pretty sure any scroller would be happy to cut one for you.

I agree with you and Scott, preserve the piece intact as much as possible. As far as the nomenclature I believe ship is correct, my daughter and her husband work at Electric Boat in Groton, CT where the "new" North Carolina was built and being a submarine is referred to as a boat. Alan in Little Washington or some of our other active or retired Navy people are more knowledgeable than I but I think subs are the only large vessel that are called boats :wsmile:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Sounds pretty neat. Do you have any documentation showing that is from the USS NC? If not is there any way you can get it documented?

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I agree with you and Scott, preserve the piece intact as much as possible. As far as the nomenclature I believe ship is correct, my daughter and her husband work at Electric Boat in Groton, CT where the "new" North Carolina was built and being a submarine is referred to as a boat. Alan in Little Washington or some of our other active or retired Navy people are more knowledgeable than I but I think subs are the only large vessel that are called boats :wsmile:

You are correct; subs have been traditionally called "boats" as they started off as small boats and the terminology stuck. Here is a link to the history page for the battleship North Carolina of the Battleship North Carolina web site, which references all the vessels that have been named "North Carolina".

Regards, Johnpipe

02ranger

New User
Matthew
Sounds pretty neat. Do you have any documentation showing that is from the USS NC? If not is there any way you can get it documented?

I do have a letter from the organization that donated the teak to the site for the raffle stating it's origin. It's not a copy of the letter either, but the actual letter, so I could put that in the display case if I decided to go that route. It seems like displaying it is the way to go. I kind of like that idea better than cutting it up anyway, but keep the suggestions coming. Somebody may have something I like better. Thanks for the help so far.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would leave the shape as is but sand it up real smooth and oil it. bore a hole for an insert clock and display it proudly. time marches on and all that......:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS