Need Help on Air Compressor Repair!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman

New User
Chad
I have had this air compressor for 15 years, I has ran great. :eusa_danc But in 1999 it was under water for about 3 days, :gar-Cr I did all the post flood repairs ( changed oil 20 times to get all the water out). It ran great from them to about 2003 ( 2 to 3 years). :eusa_danc At that time I had my power cut off from then to 2007 (about 4 years). When I had the power turned on the compressor runs but will not pump up air PSI. :cry_smile I thank the reeds are stuck open. :dontknow: I would like to repair it, but have never played inside of a A/C head. :nah:

Does any one have some input on this? :argue:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
All I can say is check the operation of the valve (forgot the name) that depressurizes the cylinder on shut down so it can start easier and the reed valves. You might have bad reeds, valve seats, or both. Might have some rust keeping a valve open. You'll need to pop the head- so might as well replace the head gasket too.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's called the unloader valve. The reeds are a straightforward assembly of 2 flexible spring steel 'fingers'. See if they have proper seating on the cylinder head face and check the compressor rings to see if they are stuck. Belt drive compressors typically have a piston & rings like a lawn mower & the cylinders could be honed if necessary. If it has been under water you could have some pitting in the cylinder walls.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I just fixed one at work the other day and it was the check valve that went between the pump and the tank that keeps the unloader from unloading the whole tank.
Do you have a manufacturer/model number that we could help by looking up an exploded parts diagram?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ditto Chris's comments - look at the check valve first to see if that's the problem. They usually screw into the tank and the output line from the compressor head attaches to them. A little penetrating oil inside and whack it a few times on the side and you'll probably be in business.

Scott

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Exactly, Scott. I used a little spray can carb cleaner to free up the ball inside and I was back in business. Worst case scenario, its a $20 (max) part.

toolman

New User
Chad
Thank for the replys, Scott, Chris, Dennis and Alan.

I will try the Valve first and if it is not the problem I will start on the head.
I will let you all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS