my "new" jointer - gotta' love the clasics

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey folks,

As made evident by a few of my posts regarding some of my other tool rebuilds, I have a thing for "vintage" tools, and am slowly but surely setting up shop with stationary tools exclusively from the golden age of cast iron.

I spent the better part of last weekend finishing the reassembly, setting the knives, (thanks Bob Vaugn!), and otherwise putting the final touches on the jointer project I've been working on. Space is tight on my side of the garage, and I think this little guy, (6" cutterhead, 38" infeed/outfeed) is the perfect balance of capacity & footprint until my wife finally caves & moves out of the garage....

I put it through the paces this weekend, and it works like a champ - perfect 4 square!:icon_cheers

As she came home:
ForSale012-1.jpg

& here she is now:
OWWM006.jpg
OWWM0072.jpg
OWWM0102.jpg
OWWM008.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!

hmhendrick

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
That is an excellent job Heath:icon_thum :icon_thum:icon_thum Personally I do not share your enthusiasm for rebuilding old machines but there is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing life back to an old workhorse.

Dragon

New User
David
I like your style Man. Nothing like bringing something back from the "dead zone" and breathing new life into it. Looking great and congrats on the "new" machine.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
You've got a great talent for this Heath! Keep it up, it's really fun seeing your projects come back to life.

Travis

4yanks

New User
Willie
Heath,

That looks really nice. I love old tools as well. I don't have the patience to rebuild machinery that you have though. Good for you.

T

toolferone

Very nice job Heath! Looks great :thumbs_up.

Now I have this old Delta Rockwell RAS that needs doing, if you want more practice I would be happy to let you do the restoration to it. :gar-Bi

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That looks a lot different than the pile of parts I saw last time I was over!!

Turned out great! Now get some sawdust on your floor!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have that exact same jointer, except mine doesn't look anything like that good. Mine came from a workshop where everything was driven by water power. Not an electric motor in the place! You've done a nice job cleaning her up. Where are you gonna get new blades?

I'm pretty sure our jointers are older than me, and I'm 65!

Good job!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent job restoring that jointer. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Just make sure you've got room for the lathe. :gar-La;

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Heath,

Love your work !:icon_thum:icon_thum. I only wished I had scored your ole craftsman SS, last year!

I love bringing back ole tools! Part of my grand Economic Plan: No Tool Left Behind! :gar-Bi.

Sweeeet!

What's next?

matt

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Really looks great! I would also be interested in how you cleaned the cast iron bed and fence. I am trying to restore an old Craftsman table saw and need to clean the bed on it.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Really looks great! I would also be interested in how you cleaned the cast iron bed and fence. I am trying to restore an old Craftsman table saw and need to clean the bed on it.

I had a lot of cleanup to do on the tools in my shop. The shop had been in a detached garage with no heat/ac so humidity was a problem. I took an old 1/4 sheet pad sander got some of those large size green scrubbing bads (like scotch brite) and cut them to fit the sander. Once attached I used generous amounts of WD-40 and let the sander do the hard work. Not good for the sander but did a great job on the cast iron... For the really bad parts I used break cleaner from the auto shop. Once done I waxed with a paste wax and they turned out great.

Trav

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Very nice work there! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Looks great. The cutterhead safety cover is a little bit unusual compared with the std cutterhead covers in use now. How well does it work?

Chuck

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That's recycling with a vengeance!
The end result is really nice. That quality level cast iron is pretty rare these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS