My Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Callihan

New User
Mike
As I stated in an earlier post I built our home including all the cabinetry throughout the house. Here are a few pictures of the kitchen I built. I am the primary cook in the family so I designed and built the kitchen to meet my needs. I am 6' 4" tall so I set the counter tops at 38" instead of 36". I also built several other custom features into the kitchen to mesh with my work habits.

An Overview: Please note the Low voltage cable lighting, The bead board vaulted ceiling, and the pot filler water faucet on the wall behind the range.

101013514.jpg

Upper Door Detail:
The door design is similar to doors found in the Gambel House a Pasadena, CA Arts a & Craft home designed by A&C architects Greene & Greene.

10789219.jpg

Appliance Garage: By faming an 18" deep wall behind this unit I was able to have a 36" deep top to house my small appliances. The appliances are always plugged in, I just pull them forward for use. With the deep wall I was also able to build in a full sized microwave in a standard 12" deep upper.

10789205.jpg

Pullout Dish Storage: With limited upper cabinet storage in close proximity to the dishwasher I installed Pull out drawers in the lower units for plate and bowl storage. Undermount full extension Blum drawer guides are IMHO the only way to go.

10789209.jpg

Corbel Detail: The corbel on the snack bar of the island unit.

10789207.jpg

Back of Island: When I cook I like to have things handy, so below the main prep area of the island I built a section with no doors for easy access with dirty hands. Also in this section are 2 pullout baskets for potatoes and onions.

10789217.jpg

Other Specs:
The cabinet wood is cherry. The facings are mortise and tenon, the cabinets sides are frame and panel. All the base unit doors are also frame and panel. The upper doors are frame with inset seedy glass. The doors and drawers are all flush mounted.

Counter tops are granite and the floor is ceramic tile. Dropping glassware is not an option. :gar-Bi

You said you like pictures so I aim to please. There you have a virtual tour
of my kitchen.

Mike

gator

George
Corporate Member
Can only think of one word - FANTASTIC.

Lots of really neat design details.

George

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Mike, that is truely impressive. I can't think of anything that would be more rewarding than building your own home. The kitchen is a masterpiece! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap :notworthy:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great photos, great kitchen, and awesome cabinets.
Oh, I forgot to mention the attention to detail :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
This has to the center piece of your home, for sure!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I would shudder to think what a custom kitchen would cost the average homeowner.

I am sure that you will be planning on staying for a very long time in that place!!! (I sure would.:wsmile:)

Magnificent work.

Wayne

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
WOW, awesome indeed!!!:notworthy::notworthy:
The appliance garage is great, I wish we had one in our kitchen.

Brian.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Thats a really nice Kitchen. I will ask again; Are you sure those grandkids are worth moving for ?:gar-La;

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great job. A designer kitchen for sure. From expierence I know how much work you put into this project.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Stunning, I really like the G&G elements on the doors. They are one of my favorite designers. How did you finish the Cherry, it has such a nice finish to it??

Dave:)

George

New User
GEORGE
Congratulations - what a great job!! Just curious, how long did it take you to complete the project? What finish did you use. I'm also doing a kitchen cabinet project.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

It only took me 2 seconds to decide my wife does not need to see the pictures.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

It only took me 2 seconds to decide my wife does not need to see the pictures.

Steve! Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee turn off this site before my wife sees this kitchen :embaresse

Great job Mike, truly inspiring. Jim

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Mike, I am impressed. I spent an entire winter pulling out sections of cabinets (doublewide trailer) and replacing them with cherry units that I made myself. The pride is there and the ability to design the space to fit your needs is a bonus. Job well done. Question, would you do it for someone else? I have been ask the question, I am not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS