My first "furniture" project

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob.nester

New User
Rob
With the help / advice / lecturing / mentoring of Skymaster, the first of a few upcoming "furniture" projects are done!

IMG_3331.jpg

I designed these tables for my front porch in SketchUp and, amazingly, the finished product turned out to be pretty close to my initial design. The tables are made from Cypress, with a few coats of General Finishes Exterior 450 Semi-gloss water based topcoat.

I figure between
  • being cypress
  • being on a covered porch
  • being on a covered porch > 4ft off the ground
  • having a top coat
they should be good to go for a while!

You can see more pictures from the build process here

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Very nice table. I love working with cypress. It's a great wood.

Red

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nicely done!:eusa_danc

That is some very clear pretty cypress. Lucky find!

Wayne

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Nice Rob. I have some cypress tables also but I like your finish better. :icon_thum

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those look like they make a great addition to the porch. A place to set the Mint Julep while you're rocking on the porch in the evening.

rob.nester

New User
Rob
Looks good! What is next on the list?

A modern style blanket trunk in white oak and Purple Heart for a wedding gift for some friends.
A trestle table in maple and bloodwood for our kitchen

eventually new bed side tables and chest of drawers for our bedroom. Not sure what wood I want to use there.

I also want to make a nice big dining room table, but I think the style I decide on will guide wood selection there.

ste6168

New User
Mike
A modern style blanket trunk in white oak and Purple Heart for a wedding gift for some friends.
A trestle table in maple and bloodwood for our kitchen

eventually new bed side tables and chest of drawers for our bedroom. Not sure what wood I want to use there.

I also want to make a nice big dining room table, but I think the style I decide on will guide wood selection there.

Sooo... Is that your shop that you are working in? Do you make other things rather than furniture? I am almost certain this can't be your first woodworking go-round! Tables look great, and I may consider making some similar for my front porch in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS