May Meeting of Western NC Woodworkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Our inaugural meeting was held Saturday, May 6th at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway with a dozen people attending. While our turnout was a little lower than expected, the group was enthusiastic about forming a woodworkers club in the area. We distributed a draft set of Bylaws and will meet in early June to organize formally and elect officers. Randy Osborne (Ozzie-x) presented a very interesting program on Planes and brought many examples of beautifully restored bench, specialty, combination, scrub and scraper planes. Click on the thumbnails below for a full-sized picture:

1) 2)
3) 4)
5) 6)
7) 8}

1) Randy Osborne (Ozzie-x) presents a great program on plans. Dee and Lee Weisz (DeeandLee) and Marty Baucom (mlb3164) listen attentively.
2) Randy continues as April and John Richards (woodguy1975) and Steve DeWeese (Steve D) listen.
3) Dan Campbell (dancam), Peter Mohr (tekkadan), Edd Knight (eddie joe) and Talley Pollard (Mtnman) absorb Randy's historic talk.
4) Bench Plane Heaven -- 8/7 Stanley Jointers to 4-1/2 Stanley's
5) The rest of the family, including Randy's pride-and-joy, a rare and nearly mint condition #1 that get special billing and handling.
6) Specialty Planes
7) More specialty planes
8}John demonstrates honing a chisel edge on Marty's new Tormek sharpening system.

We had a great afternoon, shared knowledge and enjoyed a great talk. We hope more western NC woodworkers will join us next month!

Next Month -- Chisels -- Meeting Date: June 10th -- Same Place/Time.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rob, it sounds like you had a great turn out. I appreciate you posting the pics. I got to put a few faces to the names of members. I want to know how Woodguy got his beautiful wife to attend and sit through all that tool talk, he's not only blessed in the shop but in marriage also :icon_thum
What is the deal with all the planes layed out on the table, for sale or just example/show?
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

We were very happy to have John and April attend -- it was my first time meeting her and she is very charming -- John has more than good taste in his woodworking tools, he's lucky in life as well! The planes are a small part of Randy's collection (to quote him, "... I've got somewhere between 500 and a 1,000..."). This was strictly Show-'N-Tell, but we did discuss having tool swaps at future meetings.

Rob

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
We had a good meeting and a lot of fun. Some people brought their planes for show & tell, and they had some very nice planes and good stories to go with them. We also performed a miracle on Mtnman's nice #5C right there at the meeting, and I'm sure it performs beautifully now. I enjoy using and collecting old tools, and enjoy sharing what I know about them with others. For the most part, the planes in the demonstration are my shop planes that I use, except for the minty #1 and #45 that have never touched wood. (And no, I don't use a #1 of any kind in the shop.) We covered a lot of ground in the meeting and didn't get around to talking about chisels, so that will be the topic for our next meeting. I hope everyone can come back to the next meeting, plus I hope to see some more new faces.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looks like you had a great turn out for your inaugural WNCWW meeting. Nice display of hand planes there Randy. Thanks for posting the thumbnail pix of the meeting Rob.

D L

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
After looking at picture #3 I thought I should try to fit in a little better.
What do ya'll think about this look???

Attachments

• 4 Beards.jpg
    4 Beards.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 212

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: great Photoshop work. I am rather partial to the look myself :-D

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
WNCW certainly has something going on there! Makes me miss western NC :crybaby2:

It's only gonna get better :eusa_clap

Bad move Pete :eusa_naug

You should have made the others look as good as you :mrgreen:

Sapwood

M

McRabbet

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

Pete, that one had me howling, but please, no beards allowed on the other two sides of the table!

Rob

cskipper

Cathy
Sorry I missed the meeting. Looks like ya'll had a good time and learned some too! Next month.

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks like it was a great meeting... I'll have to try to make the next one.

Ya know, it's really too bad I missed that one... looks like that little No 1 might have been able to fit in my pocket!!! :jealous:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Maybe that's why the other iron Ozzie was totin' was made by another famous hardware company.......Smith & Wesson. :lol:
insomniac said:
Looks like it was a great meeting... I'll have to try to make the next one.

Ya know, it's really too bad I missed that one... looks like that little No 1 might have been able to fit in my pocket!!! :jealous:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS