Mantel Slab, where to find?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
I'm looking at putting up a mantel to dress up my fireplace. Any thoughts and ideas to get a nice size slab? My fireplace is trimmed out with an aged dark wood, so I'm thinking I will finish the mantel to fit in with the current flavor. Dimensions being roughly 72" long X 6-8" wide X 2-3" thick.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Kyle Edwards usually has a nice selection of large slabs. He's in Iron Station, northwest of Charlotte. You can contact him as he's a member.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Kyle is indeed a great guy.

Locally, a fellow named Charles Holland in New Hill usually has 50 - 100 mantle blanks in stock. Send me an e-mail if you would like his contact info.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i was gonna say check with scott but he already chimed in. i've bought from kyle before too.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Here is a mantle that I built in 2009 for my neighbor. He brought me a rough sawn slab of black walnut (still green). I dried it and then made it from that. From memory, the finished size is 8" deep 3 1/4" thick and 7 ft long. The finish is 3 coats of Watco Danish Oil Dark Walnut with 5 coats of wipe on gloss poly, sanded lightly between coats. In my opinion, it's way too small for the fireplace, but it's what he wanted. The support brackets are stone and were installed by the mason who re-faced the fireplace. The mantle just rests on them with no attachment, again it's what he wanted.

14.JPG

The slab came from somewhere near Lake Norman. If you are interested in coming this far for your wood I will ask where he got it.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS