Making ww'ing power tools out of wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Are there any good books out there with plans to make ww'ing tools from wood - googling around I found a number of machines that look worthy of building, all kinds of sanders and even a monster bandsaw.

I kind of like the idea of building my own instead of buying.

Thanks

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Ive got a buddy who has plans for a Lathe made from the rear end of a truck if your interested I ask him for a link.

Thanks Mark

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Wood framed machines were common in the early 1800's.

If you can cabbage on to FWW issue 75 (March April 89), there are plans in there to build this narrow belt sander. Built in January of 1988, its still in service today.

sndr1.jpg

sndr2.jpg

sndr3.jpg

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Making your own tools is very satisfying. I think that Best Of Woodworking has a book out with several good machines.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Jeff,

If you haven't seen this website, Check it out. This guy makes a lot of Gear's to make things easier. Mostly jig's, but some cool jig's~!

Home Page http://woodgears.ca/

Screw advance Finger joint Jig: http://woodgears.ca/box_joint/jig.html

I so want to build that finger joint jig, he has plans for it for free too. http://woodgears.ca/box_joint/jig_plans/index.html

Improved version: http://woodgears.ca/box_joint/jig_improved.html

Have fun Jeff, Can't wait to see what you decide to make.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Wood framed machines were common in the early 1800's.

If you can cabbage on to FWW issue 75 (March April 89), there are plans in there to build this narrow belt sander. Built in January of 1988, its still in service today.

sndr1.jpg

sndr2.jpg

sndr3.jpg

I like your sander bob, griz has something like yours for $450.00 with a bunch of specialty replacement parts should a part break.

g1015.jpg

Your replacement parts are either shop made or available at a hardware store.

I don't have access to FWW issue 75 (March April 89) issue, but I'll keep looking. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind... I suppose my questions would be answered when I get FWW issue 75.

1) Thumb screws on the top guide are for sanding belt tracking?
2) HP and RPM of the motor
3) what is your RPM reduction? (motor pulley / Drive Pulley)

Thanks

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
You might also want to check out Gillom. They sell kits containing the metal bits and you add the wood. they have been around forever. I have an 18" bandsaw kit of theirs that I will be putting together when it gets warmer.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
:dontknow::dontknow: Ok, Jeff, lets be more precise- are you looking for WW tools (usually don't have motors) and are designed to be held in your hand, ww power tools (also usually designed for hand use- never seen one of those made from wood), or WW machines (may or may not have a motor) but involve parts that move or rotate and are not designed to be hand held? :icon_scra :gar-La;

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
:dontknow::dontknow: Ok, Jeff, lets be more precise- are you looking for WW tools (usually don't have motors) and are designed to be held in your hand, ww power tools (also usually designed for hand use- never seen one of those made from wood), or WW machines (may or may not have a motor) but involve parts that move or rotate and are not designed to be hand held? :icon_scra :gar-La;

Hey Alan - that would be machines.

Thanks

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
You might also want to check out Gillom. They sell kits containing the metal bits and you add the wood. they have been around forever. I have an 18" bandsaw kit of theirs that I will be putting together when it gets warmer.

Does Gillom have a website? You mean your gonna build this 18" BS?

4022-A.jpg

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, you most likely would enjoy Fine WoodWorking on Making and Modifying Machines.

ISBN 0-918804-43-4

It has articles and plans on a host of sanding machinery, two tablesaws, a beam saw and lathes.

All from wood. Its out of print near as I can tell, but easy to come by.

Jim

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I like your sander bob, griz has something like yours for $450.00 with a bunch of specialty replacement parts should a part break.

g1015.jpg

Your replacement parts are either shop made or available at a hardware store.

I don't have access to FWW issue 75 (March April 89) issue, but I'll keep looking. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind... I suppose my questions would be answered when I get FWW issue 75.

1) Thumb screws on the top guide are for sanding belt tracking?
2) HP and RPM of the motor
3) what is your RPM reduction? (motor pulley / Drive Pulley)

Thanks

Hey Jeff,

That looks like it might be easy to make with a lathe, Just need a jig to hold the top wheel.

I may look into this. :eusa_thin

eddie joe

New User
edd
shop notes the mag has had quite a few shop built power tools. They vary from sanders, down draft tables , horiz routers, etc. It would be worth the look on there website.

Edd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS