lumber processing plant tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Does anyone know of a good lumber processing plant to tour. I'm looking for a complete end to end walk though tour from unloading logs from trucks to loading kiln dried S4S on trucks or RR cars for market.

Thanks

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Squires Hardwood in Kelly, NC would fit the bill if they are interested in doing it.

I'd say give them a call. 919-669-2531

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, from a historical perspective, you would really enjoy seeing the steam powered, belt fed lumber operation at the Silk Hope Old Fashion Farmers Day show over Labor Day weekend.

http://www.silkhopenc.org/Old-Fashioned-Farmers-Day

They have a complete, steam operated sawmill and wood processing facility that will be in operation, and it's well worth the visit.

Glennbear

Glenn
Excellent question Jeff :icon_thum On a related note, in a nearby town to me there is a veneer factory which produces for export. Seeing their outside log yard from the highway with water constantly spraying piqued my curiosity and I have often wondered if they would give a tour to a group of interested NCWW's. Is there any interest before I approach the owners ? :wsmile:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Excellent question Jeff :icon_thum On a related note, in a nearby town to me there is a veneer factory which produces for export. Seeing their outside log yard from the highway with water constantly spraying piqued my curiosity and I have often wondered if they would give a tour to a group of interested NCWW's. Is there any interest before I approach the owners ? :wsmile:

I know I would be interested for sure, a group tour is a awesome idea Glen.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I would be interested as well, Glenn. Thanks for the offer! Just curious, is this north of the Va/NC state line or south?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jeff, from a historical perspective, you would really enjoy seeing the steam powered, belt fed lumber operation at the Silk Hope Old Fashion Farmers Day show over Labor Day weekend.

http://www.silkhopenc.org/Old-Fashioned-Farmers-Day

They have a complete, steam operated sawmill and wood processing facility that will be in operation, and it's well worth the visit.

Scott, isn't this the same one that was featured on a recent episode of The Woodwrights Shop? If so, it was a VERY interesting operation.

Bill

Edit: never mind, I just read your other post on this event Labor Day. :embarrassed:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Count me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors