Little Workbench Gloat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I just got back from the DC area where my Uncle lives. They are moving and will no longer have room for this workbench, and since my cousin is not interested in it, it was offered to me!:eusa_danc This bench was my Great Grandfathers. As I understand it, he was involved with the school board and we think this may have been out of one of the schools. He acquired the bench sometime in the late '20's, so we figure the bench was probably build in the teens. The vise is very interesting. It is a cam action vise instead of a screw action, which makes it a very nice quick action vise!

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_01461.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That thing is all dirty! you don't want that in your shop, give it to me, and I will make sure it is properly looked after :)

MikeH

New User
Mike
I saw it in person yesterday and it's a cool little workbench! The fact that it's your Great-Grandfather's make it even cooler. :-D

nelsone

New User
Ed
I really like that vise. I wonder if they still make them?

I'm going to see if I can find a name on the vise. I've never seen one, but a couple guys at Family Woodworking say they have seen them on older benches. I doubt they still make them.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Ed,

I have the exact same bench w/the exception of the vise. The vise on mine is a standard type. I was also missing the inset stop but I picked one up at a flea mkt and will be installing it shortly.

The bench size is perfect for working on small jobs and I'm anxious to get it cleaned up.

Good luck w/yours.

Dan C.

nelsone

New User
Ed
My Uncle lives in Arlington, but the bench probably came out of Wisconsin.

I have the pop-up dog. Just have to clean the rust off of it!

Dan, what's the history of your bench?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
great score!:icon_thum I have a vise exactly like it! :-D found it at a roadside flee market. I think i paid 8 bucks for it! [ drive by gloat! ] :rolf: You are gonna like the vise once you learn its limitations. certain thicknesses of wood wont lock down tight!:cry: but a scrap piece of something added will make it work just fine.:roll: Enjoy!

fred p

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great bench gloat! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I'm sure you will think of your great grandfather and smile every time you use it.

Chuck

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Nice work table and vise. I know you will treasure it since it has so much family history. If it could talk I bet it would have lots of stories to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors