Let's see it.....your bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Do you have to be able to see the top of the bench to post a pic?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do you have to be able to see the top of the bench to post a pic?

The only way I could post a picture of mine showing the actual bench was to use a picture from right after it was finished being built. Before the clutter started. Maybe I should post an 'after' picture - nah - that would be ugly.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I just got mine done over the Christmas break. It is inspired by Ron Paulk's designs. It is built from 23/32 pine plywood I got from Home Depot for $30/sheet. It has very few voids and is pretty good plywood. The top is bored with 20mm holes created by a Freud router bit and spaced with pegboard and a Woodrave router base. I like the fact that tools can be moved to the lower level to keep the top surface more clean. It rolls on 3 inch totally locking casters I got form eBay. They are pretty good.

Attachments

• Paulk inspired workbench.JPG
    Paulk inspired workbench.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 173
  • workbench end view.JPG
    workbench end view.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 131

bluthart

New User
Brian
Here is a bench I made a few years ago alongside Jeremy (Woodwrangler) after he had decided to do one as well. I'm not really sure where we came up with the design, but I made it out of some Sapele and maple I had laying around. The center trays can be flipped for storage or a smooth work surface, or to allow for middle clamping. Someday I will complete the bottom for better storage options.

19946_1376013004614_4222854_n.jpg

19946_1376013044615_4844738_n.jpg

FlannelMan

New User
Philip
Here is my workbench I built about a year ago. I was thinking about making a build journal on it. This was my first major project.

It is a Nicholson (English) style workbench. All of the lumber was taken from 2x12 SYP boards from the home store, with the exception of the vise jaw, which is 8/4 white oak. I made this workbench entirely by hand with vintage hand tools that I restored. Not a great picture, but its all I have right now.

20150129_190614.jpg

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
image1 (5).JPG Ok I found a pic when the bench was clean. Built it with SYP base. Top is a solid core door with 3/4 " Oak flooring on top. I will not walk on you !

Cato

New User
Bob
So, mine is pretty basic design and serves as work bench and TS catch. Base is 2x6 and top is from 5/4 ash. I built some overhang on one end for clamping when hand routing and hand planing, etc. Underside serves for some wood storage up to 6 ft. boards.
20160101_073859.jpg

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Mine is made from Douglas fir 2X12's. This pic isn't the greatest but you get the idea.
20141004_235931411_iOS.jpg

aamak

New User
Andy
Here's mine. Split-top Roubo, Benchcrafted hardware and plans. Made from Ash. The split top made it much easier for me to make, because I was able to joint and plane with my Grizzly 12" jointer/planer combo machine. It's a little too big for my 1-car garage workshop, but I don't care. The little white strip at the top of the sliding deadman is a plastic spacer. The deadman was a little grabby, but with the spacer in, it slides easy with one finger.

IMG_4749.JPG

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Here's mine. Almost now too heavy to move on the 6 casters. The top was a center island in a house we lived in about 10 years ago. I always think about putting a nice wood top on, but that formica takes a beating. Write on it, glue on it and then scrape it off......

IMG_1657.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

Tom

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
How about an adjustable bench made from hard maple and American beech:

From low:

IMG_2931.jpg

To high:

IMG_2934.jpg

and in between in 1" increments:

IMG_2932.jpg

The adjustable legs and ratchet mechanism appear spindly and unstable, but are just the opposite. The bench is rock solid at all heights.

IMG_2955.jpg

AWWB.jpg

It has three types of vises- a full-width, twin-screw, end vise (with recessed sprockets and chain, and custom cover),

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_28652.jpg

a quick-release face vise,

IMG_2954.jpg

and a sliding tail vise.

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

Since they run cross-grain, the end aprons (end caps) were not glued, but left to float to allow for seasonal expansion. There are no exposed bolts or plugged bolt holes to mar the appearance of the end caps. Instead, they are held snug to the bench with hidden bolts which can be tightened easily.

IMG_2948.jpg

The end caps are positioned with blind, full-width mortise and tenon joints. Barrel bolts (in holes drilled from the bottom of the aprons), threaded rod (in holes drilled in back of the aprons and inserted in a hole drilled in the ends of the bench) and a nut w/washer (in a pocket on the underside of the bench) hold the aprons securely to the bench. Large, hand-cut dovetails keep the apron corners tight.

IMG_2952.jpg

And then there is the adjustable height assembly table:

145_AssemTable_spread1.jpg

Richo B

New User
Richo
Drawer in place_11.7.15_02.jpg
Based on Chad Stanton's bench, it is a portable workbench complete with face vise, tail/leg vise, shelf and drawer. Small and portable but perfect for my wood working crafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS