Let's see it.....your bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
After seeing Mike's new bench project I started thinking about my bench. I want a new one but have no idea as to style. I wonder what everybody works on. So let's see it...don't be shy.

I'll start.....carcass is plywood. Top is MDF over a layer of plywood. Very sturdy and heavy.

20151227_171620.jpg

ehpoole

Ethan
Would this be the workbench you had in mind? :)

Anyhow, this is where much of my time has been spent lately.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 172

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Nice Fred! is that a NEW bench being built on top of the old bench?

I need to build a bench some day. I'm currently using a $120 Harbor Freight bench... UGH

ehpoole

Ethan
Is that one of those chairs that help with your back?

Indeed, though not ideally suited to its present home as this space is in a bit of flux with a lot of things getting rearranged at the moment. It was most useful in the days past when I would spend many hours each day writing and debugging code at the computer. This particular chair is probably close to 20 years old at this point as I bought it in the mid 90s, though I had a similar design of chair back in the 80s as well. In many respects they are really much closer to a modified stool than a chair, per se.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Indeed, though not ideally suited to its present home as this space is in a bit of flux with a lot of things getting rearranged at the moment. It was most useful in the days past when I would spend many hours each day writing and debugging code at the computer. This particular chair is probably close to 20 years old at this point as I bought it in the mid 90s, though I had a similar design of chair back in the 80s as well. In many respects they are really much closer to a modified stool than a chair, per se.

I'm going to buy one of those. I sit for many hours at a desk during the day and it has taken a toll on my back.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris, your bench looks a little like my old assembly table which I just removed from the shop to make more room. Mine was larger and built of plywood (Norm's plans) with a torsion box covered by 1/2" MDF as a reversible top.

Here is my real workbench.

DSC_0333_800x532_.jpg

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Would this be the workbench you had in mind? :)

Anyhow, this is where much of my time has been spent lately.

Working a little digital modes there Ethan? Perhaps a little PSK31... Did not know you are a ham, I don't get on HF much, but keep an eye/ear out for N4KIT...

Chris (N4KIT)

Oh, and here's my current "bench" - more of an assembly table really. Eventually I will get around to building the cabinets that fit in under it. This also doubles as the outfeed table for the table saw (not the old Craftsman you see in the picture - that one is gone now replaced by a Griz 0690.

100925 Assembly table 2.jpg

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Here is mine, SYP base with 2 layers of 3/4 plywood and one layer of MDF for the top and then poplar trim. Really want to swap the top at some point for a solid SYP top, but this works for now.
photo_3.JPG

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
WB 1.jpgWB 2.jpgWB 5.jpgWB 7.jpgWB 3.jpg

Bench top is ~2.5" w/plenty of dog holes. Legs are 4x4 laminated maple and the stretchers are curly maple w/cherry drawer fronts. End panel is curly maple in a cherry frame.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
No, the foot on the bottom of the legs. Is it attached with lags also or is it mortised to the legs?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I may have to add some feet to mine and it's a bit late to cut tenons after everything is glued up. Was hoping lag bolts would work. I may give it a shot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS