Monty
Klingspor Extravaganza Woodworking Show

extravaganza07.gif

Friday Oct 26 & Saturday Oct 27, 2007

More details at Klingspor's Web Site

Hickory Metro Convention Center
Hickory, NC
(directions here)​

Gathering of NC Woodworkers to follow (further details TBA). Be sure to mark your calendars and set aside time for this event! Start making carpool plans now! We had a great time in previous years! (click to see pics from the 2005 and 2006 Extravaganzas!)

We're still finalizing plans, but Klingspor has once again graciously offered plenty of space for our gathering. There will be plenty of room to show off our work and run some demonstrations (woodturning, scrollsawing, or maybe something else... we're open to ideas & suggestions!). And on Saturday we'll have a nice room to gather together for fellowship and some more of that great BARBECUE! ;) :D

Once again, in an effort to obtain a reasonable estimate of how many will attend this event, please reply in this thread if you plan to attend. If you can, plan to bring a few projects along to show off!

See you there! :eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll be there, October is turning into a month full of fun NCWw'er events :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Seems like we've known some of you guys for longer than 2 years - but remember meeting folks for the 1st time at that show in 2005. Last year was fun - count us in this year.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Me too please:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc. Monty let me know what I can to to help

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I'm going to do my best too make it. Hopefully I want have to work.Sounds like a lot of FUN.Do we need an ID for ncwwer club ? :lol:

Monty

New User
Monty
I will try to attend this year.

Would anybody like to see a primitive wood working demo?

YES! That would be awesome! I have discussed some preliminary plans with Coleman, and we will likely have some significant floor space on the main floor which would be perfect for demonstrations like this. (We will still have a private dining room on Saturday -- thanks again to Coleman and the Klingspor Woodworking Shop! :eusa_clap)

This will result in a LOT more exposure for our little online "club" - which is great. Our pen turning demo last year attracted some attention, but not as much as it would have on the main floor. I know I really enjoyed it when new people came along and asked questions, etc.

So... to make the most of it, I think a demo like 'primitive woodworking' would generate a lot of attention. I know I'd like to see it! We can also do pen turning again if we like (we'll need pre-drilled blanks again), or maybe scrollsawing (Cathy?), or whatever else ya'll might like to do!

The floor space will be open for us on Friday and Saturday, so we can do demonstrations both days if we like. So, if someone would like to show off their skills but could only be there at a certain time, that would be OK! In fact, if there is enough interest I could make up an online sign-up sheet to divvy up some time blocks.

I look forward to seeing everyone again. Looks like our little gathering keeps getting better every year!!! :D

clowman

Clay Lowman
Some Ideas to throw around

Sharpening tools. I know last year the Tormek guy did all sorts of sharpening demos, and he was amazing. But what about sharpening different ways.

Carving. Would there be enough time to demonstrate this skill? I know we have some good carvers here. The only thing I know about it, is I have never tried.

Turning. Pens, goblets (Steve), boxes. Anything else that can be accomplished.

Anything else? I can predrill some blanks if we have enough interest in turning pens.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Some Ideas to throw around

Sharpening tools. I know last year the Tormek guy did all sorts of sharpening demos, and he was amazing. But what about sharpening different ways.

Carving. Would there be enough time to demonstrate this skill? I know we have some good carvers here. The only thing I know about it, is I have never tried.

Turning. Pens, goblets (Steve), boxes. Anything else that can be accomplished.

Anything else? I can predrill some blanks if we have enough interest in turning pens.
Thanks, but I don't think my skill set is ready for public demonstration. But maybe we can get Big Mike to demo some of his skills, which are significant.

I could give a demo on how to drive screws and miss the mark every time:rolf:

cskipper

Cathy
I can do whatever - plan on being there on Sat. I'd like to have a time period where we could at least discuss techniques and/or tools in carving. I know what I have done for the spoons, but I don't know what all tools are available, worthwhile, how to use safely... What are folk's favorite carving tools and why? I realize that there is a carving contest unrelated to us during the show so I don't want to stop on toes.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Monty, my wife and I will be there both days, so we can help set up etc. and anything else that needs to doing (except demo'ing) of course. We'll probably be up there Thur evening.

Do you need any signs, flyers, etc.?

Do we want to give away or sell any ncww merchandise.

Door prizes. I Have a few in stock

woodguy1975

New User
John
I will be there. I will probably be doing an all day Maloof Chairmaking seminar on Saturday again much like last year. Things are busy and up in the air for me, but I will make a hole in my schedule to be there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors