Kitchen Project - picture heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoins

New User
Marvin
Thought I'd take a few minutes & document the kitchen project we did last year - 2007. The house in question is a Colonial Revival built in 1933. Moved in 8 years ago, this weekend - Thanksgiving 2000. We've spent the last 8 years restoring it back to its former glory - the kitchen was about all that remained to be worked on.

Our home.
IMAGE_00032.jpg

In March 2007, we decided to tackle the kitchen. My wife & I did nearly all the work ourselves - w/the exception being HVAC work, drywall, cabinet installation, tile, & countertop. By the time we got that far, we were ready to have it done.

The project turned out to be massive in scope & involved not only the kitchen itself, but morphed into several additional "while we're in here's":
  • HVAC upgrades - replacing the 25 year old HVAC system from gas furnace/AC to heat pump/gas furnace, plus adding ductwork to areas of the house w/no A/C & heated by electric ceiling heat, the ceiling heat being 50+ years old.
  • Plumbing - removal of cast iron & galvanized pipe w/PVC & copper
  • Electrical - rewired 2/3 of the house w/the help of a retired electrician-Smitty. I pulled the wire & made up the connections & Smitty taught me how to hook it into the breaker panel. Rewired the basement & main floor of the house - most of the wire was sound (BX from the 30s), but brittle insulation. The ceiling heat wires were scary - the insulation had melted to the side of the thermostat box. Lack the 2nd floor rooms & attic. Been waiting on the weather to cool off to allow working in the attic - have junction boxes in a 2nd floor bedroom sitting there waiting. Been looking forward to this time of the year to get this finished up.
  • Workshop - in parallel w/this project, a friend & I built an 18x18 workshop off the back of our detached carport to move my workshop out of the basement. This workshop project is documented on this site under the Workshop forum - "Workshop - Out of the Basement" thread. Take a look.
I apologize for not providing before pictures - they were taken w/a film camera & have never been scanned into the computer. So we'll start w/the show already in progress...

Looking east... There once was a wall here w/a door that went into the next room - had to duck under the stairwell as you went thru.
IMAGE_00036-1.jpg

Turning South...
IMAGE_00037-1.jpg

Turning West... our lovely kitchen sink - sitting on sawhorse - there's a close-up later...
IMAGE_00038-1.jpg

Turning North... the old pantry housing new ductwork & the refrigerator...
IMG_0862.jpg

Heading out onto the street - here's the kitchen awaiting pickup by the City...
IMAGE_00033-1.jpg

Fast Forward to May/June - progress... Wall is up & house is being re-wired...

Looking east...
IMG_0858.jpg

Looking South...
IMG_0859.jpg

Looking West... Yes, we ate at that table - it's back out of the way...
IMG_0860.jpg

Looking North... there once was a fuse box in this wall - opening it up allowed rewiring the house.
IMG_0863.jpg

The kitchen sink - a section of the old countertop sitting on sawhorses - lovely... It was like this for better than 6 months.
IMAGE_00044-1.jpg

Fast forward to June/July - progress... Getting ready for hardwood floor...
My daughter & I nailing down the original subfloor. Took nearly 2 pounds of nails - the wood was so hard that 1/2 of those bent...
IMG_0848.jpg

The subfloor. If you look closely, you can see the ghost of an old bathroom wall. The subfloor had been covered w/roofing felt. The patch in the floor fills in a hole from old ductwork, which I found by falling thru the roofing felt into. Owww.
IMG_0865.jpg

Fast forward to August - progress... Hardwood floor down & drywall is up...
IMG_0874.jpg

Coming together. Hardwood floor... Stained.
IMG_0895.jpg

Fast forward to September... Cabinets & countertops installed awaiting tile & paint... We didn't end up going Green... Didn't like it once it was up on the wall. Kicker was when people came over, looked around & said - "so, what color you painting the walls?"
IMAGE_00065.jpg

Good things come to those who wait!
IMAGE_00080.jpg

Fast forward to October...
A completed kitchen - never thought we'd get here. Countertops are black granite - 'Black Galaxy' w/travertine subway tile.
IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

A close-up of the electrical outlets - this was probably the biggest quest of the project. Nothing seemed to look right. So, after researching finishing stone, I bought the diamond bits & polishing disks, and gave it a whirl. Made these from left over travertine tile from the backsplash...
IMG_1335.jpg

Am a computer professional. Am not a trained professional in the trades. I hope that this encourages others to go for it - you don't know what you can do til you try.

Plus, w/every new project comes new tools you never thought you'd have a need for.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Marvin, to say I am impressed would be an understatement. Apart from all the great work, being able to live in a demolition zone (with a family!) is a challenge by itself. Hats off to you and your wife for doing all this yourself. The travertine subway tile has got to be my favorite part, along with the outlet covers :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Wow! That was quite an undertaking and the end result is beautiful. Hard to imagine being without a real kitchen for so long. Your wife must be a saint. I hope the feeling of great satisfaction and pride make up for all the hardship you endured. Great job.

Ernie

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Very impressive! I agree with Bas about the challenge of living in a demo zone.

tv

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Six months with the kitchen sink on saw horses sent chills down my wife's spine. That has always been her biggest fear, that I would start a big project like this.

The results seem to be worth the inconvenience. :icon_thum

T

toolferone

Nice play by play! Those outlet covers are awesome!! I love the refrigerator wall too! The story on the the old wiring was "shocking" ! (sorry had to do it)

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful...job well done. I especially like the floors with the stain pattern..very unusal.

Dan C.

lottathought

New User
Michael
That is simply beautiful...
Your outlet cover work makes me think I should take the plunge and put those type counters in my kitchen. (Been wanting to upgrade them for a while.)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Marvin, you all did an absolutely STUNNING job! :swoon: Those electric outlet panels are such a perfect touch! Excellent work! :notworthy:

M

McRabbet

Fantastic job and a patient wife and daughter! But the results certainly look like it was all worth it. Like others have said, the details are stunning (wall plates and floor staining), but the overall kitchen look is truly elegant!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Marvin, what can I say but fantastic job.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You should feel very proud.
Especially for someone not in the trade.
That is a very elegant kitchen.
I love the walls, especially the pot filler. I have always wanted to do one of those.
I have remodel quite a few kitchens and bathrooms. So I kind of know what you went thru.
Take it from someone that has been in the trade, that you did a very good job indeed.
I am presently in the middle of a complete gut and remodel of a clients kitchen right now.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
WOW!! Marvin that is a great job - LOML and I thought we went through something with this house - nothing compared to what you and you family went through- Great job:icon_thum

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Whoa boy!!!, that looks fantastic!!! I need to do that in my house, but the thought of going without a kitchen....well, I like to eat too much I guess.

Robert Brunke'

New User
Robert
Great play by play. Looks as though you might have had to blow the dust out of the computer a few times before that project came to a close. You have done a great job.
Regards,
Robert

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
WOW!!!

The real finishing touch is the electrical cover plates - AWESOME!!
:notworthy::notworthy:

I go along with what others say about being able to be there during the demolition and construction and survive!

VERY nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS