JSR Woodworking School of Fine Woodworking Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Friends, I've put up the schedule for the next few months until Feb. I want you guys to look hard at your schedules to see if you can make it to a class you want to take. The "I'll take it next go round" won't work for a very very long time!!!

Unfortunately I will be shutting down the school in Febuary when I leave for my first trip to China. Most of you know I have to go over for a month for my work. I've just been informed I'll be doing rotational coverage every other month to China for the next year. What does that mean to JSR Woodworking???? Simple, being in the states for only 4 weekends at a time with Jet Lag and travel prep only leaves 2 weekends a month open. Since we will be gone for extended periods, those weekends will probably be booked with catching up on things so I won't be able to offer any classes until my travels are over. This will probably be a year period!!!!!

Basically this will be your last opportunity for a long time to take a class for a very long time. You may want to change things around to make it to the class offering that is already up. Dates are set. NCwwers are getting $20 off each of the class prices except the rocker you get $50 off.

(3) Finishing ($100) – November 4th
(0)Cabinetmaking ($200)– November 11th-12th
(4)Maloof Rocker ($500)– Nov 18th, 19th, December 2nd-3rd, December 16th-17th
(2)Woodworking Fundamentals ($200) - December 9th – 10th
(4)Maloof Occasional Chair ($250) – January 6th-7th and January 20th
(6)Bent Wood Basics ($120) – January 13th

Class Size – 6
Materials Required – Provided
Tools Required – None
(6)Vacuum Veneering ($100) – January 27th
Class Size – 6
Materials Required – Provided
Tools Required – None
(6)Krenov Plane Making ($100) – Feb 3rd

(#) - Number of spots currently available.
This isn't great news for you or me, but we all have to do what needs to be done. I'm not ready to rely on the school to pay the bills so to China I go.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dang John, work has so many demands :cool:
We'll certainly miss you, but hopefully it will be an interesting new phase in your life. Working in a different county/culture will offer many rewards. And talk about exotic woods :mrgreen:

Be safe, enjoy the fun, and don't forget to leave the shop unlocked :lol:

Roger

T

toolferone

You say we, is your wife traveling with you? I think it sounds like a cool opportunity. And yes we will miss you.

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow, that sucks. Maybe we can turn you a set of chop sticks at the show. ;)

Seriously, I have to say to anyone considering the classes - they're well worthwhile. John is able to provide plenty of practical information so you'll likely learn much more than just what is necessary to complete your project.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
John That su:BangHead: :BangHead: s I hope I will be able to make at least one before you go

woodguy1975

New User
John
You say we, is your wife traveling with you? I think it sounds like a cool opportunity. And yes we will miss you.

Being gone for a month at a time is too long to be separate so yeap, April is going too. I've just got to figure out how to pay for her flight ever other month. My business class tickets will run $4500+, and her coach tickets will run around $1700 a trip. That is a lot of money to spend every other month for travel. I hope to get some compensation from the company to aid in all this.

It is an opportunity to really broaden my horizons, but one month would have done it for me. I guess I'll be acquiring a few frequent flyer miles.

John

cskipper

Cathy
Gosh, John, I can't imagine either having that opportunity or inconvenience. Are you going to make folks finish their chairs before you leave (I know, like you can make them)? Would you like me to babysit your scrollsaw while you are gone? I'd hate for it to get lonely or rusty.....

dtomasch

New User
David
John,
Congratulations on an adventure of a lifetime. I'm selfishly sad, but glad for you. Be safe and enjoy. You can still use the internet though, right?

Monty

New User
Monty
Guess we'll have to change the standard chat times then, huh? That's 12:00 AM, not noon!!! :lol:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Man, every other month! That's a bunch of air time. Well you'll have lots of time to catch up on reading, do some designing (if they still allow laptops on the plane), maybe take up meditation (go out of body for a few hours;-))

Will they let you leave your business class abode to go back and visit your wife who will be stuck in coach (something tells me she might want to switch seats at some point!)

What part of China will you be going to? Will yhave time to travel within the country?

Well, you will be missed. Enjoy the experience.

pete

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sucks John, but you have to do what you have to do.

Speaking of work, Roger, did you ever get a job? Wasn't your wife saying you needed to get a job?:lol:

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'll be going to Suzhou which is about 70 miles west of Shanghai. For the first few months I'll have to use my entire month of visa time for work, but hopefully I'll be able to take a week to travel in country. I really want to get to visit the big tourist spots.

J

jeff...

Hey John don't get Shanghai'ed in Shanghai ;-). I really was looking forward to a rocker class next year. Maybe I'll get a book instead, any suggestions?

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do

woodguy1975

New User
John
Hey John don't get Shanghai'ed in Shanghai ;-). I really was looking forward to a rocker class next year. Maybe I'll get a book instead, any suggestions?

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do

Suggestions.......

Wait till I'm back. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously any of my students will tell you, you can't learn it from a book. There is a first hand experience that is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors