Jim from Apex

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Electrical engineer by trade.

Built my own house (except foundation/drywall/roof) in 1989. 4 BR victorian with stained 4" fluted HR Maple casings throughout. 2x6 outer walls.

Did 100 sqft of corian counter top for kitchen refurb a few years ago. Got material from solidsurfacesurplus before it seems they jacked up their prices. Granite is so cheap now I dont see how Corian is still doing business. Presently looking for a 80"x10" black (mostly) corian slab for some weird project I'm doing.

Mainly doing a lot of refurb on rooms with built in cabinets, granite, embedded tile & glass work.

Recently laid 500 sqft of Lumber Liquidator Braziliian Cherry (Ipe). Very pretty, very hard, very nasty splinters like shards of glass.

Recently laid 80 sqft of 6x12 slate for a corner gas fireplace plus some 1x2 mosaic for a barrel vault.

Woodworking dream -

• Build another house that merges Green&Green Blacker House with Susanka "Not So Big" design philosophies. Contract out everything except final trim.
  • Build a mini version of Blacker porte cochere with Ipe timbers.
  • Have the time to make 5-10 G&G furniture pieces plus a bunch of G&G built-ins and staircase.
  • Make a mega-wide G&G front door for it
  • Hey what the heck while I'm at it - make a stained glass piece for it
Equipment lineup:

• 3HP grizzly cab saw
  • Delta unifence (suffered with the Grizzly fence WAY too stupidly long)
  • Just burned up a Dewalt miter saw and replaced with Hitachi (don't know if that was wise)
  • Projects done mainly in the 3rd bay of unheated garage
  • Unused Porter Cable DT jig that i plan to use in the next few weeks
  • Dewalt biscuit joiner which I use a ton
  • bunch of Bessey K clamps
  • Grizzly drill press rattle trap that has a ton-o-runout
  • Bosch 3HP router plus a Dewalt 3-handle router
  • Jet 6" joiner

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Have you considered a big project? Like a cutting board or a birdhouse?

Welcome! Glad to have you!

Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Jim!
Clearly you have been busy woodworking for a while :icon_thum
Sounds like challenging projects. We would love to see some photos :mrgreen:

Roger

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Jim. Exactly how many years have to pass after you finish building one house before you have the incentive to build a second one? :) Great to have you join, and thanks for listing the tool lineup :tool:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Jim, I am glad you could join us. I look forward to your input in the forums. I'm a big fan of G&G also, it's great to have another on board.
See you around!!!!

Dave:)

eyekode

New User
Salem
Welcome Jim! I have a piece of granite that I have not yet used that may fit your need. What kind of project are you dreaming up? I am also in Apex.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the best virtual sawdust pile in the Universe! Glad you found us and it sounds like you're having lots of fun! Pics would be good...

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Thanks for the warm welcome.

As for how long it takes to want to build another house after building the first, in my case it was...

• 5 years of getting nauseous of the idea of another house
  • + another 10 years of saying "no way I'd ever build another"
  • + another 5 years of building up to "Well maybe if I contract out about 95% of the work"

Sorry about the confusion about the black slab, in fact I need some Corian because it will have some glass objects around it that I don't want breaking if I set them down a little too hard. So in fact I'm looking for some black variety of Corian. Emailed a few local counter top companies about remnants and got zippo response.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Jim. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Sounds like you have quite the repertoire of home building/home improvement/renovation projects under your belt. I've always wanted to build my own house. I'm not sure if I'll ever get that opportunity though. :eusa_thin Anyway, it is great to have you here. I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some of your work. :icon_thum

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Welcome aboard Jim. With an intro like that you have to post some pix in the DIY forum.

-Mark

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the NCWW pile-o-sawdust. We're always happy to have another woodworker join us. Sounds as if you are very well established with both shop and experience. I look forward to seeing your posts on the various forums. How about some photos of some of your projects? We do love our photos... photos of any project (including a house), or tools, or the shop, or a trip to the woodworking / lumber store, or the shop critter, et cetera.

Again, welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS