Oakwood

New User
John
JewleryChest2_246071.jpg

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wow John! It's a beautiful piece. That's a lot of drawers for one piece :cool:

Also like the "stopped" chamfer on the sides.

Once it's filled you'll have to hide it in a safebox 8-O

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Alright you got it posted :icon_thum Absol-freaking beautiful. Incredible craftsmanship, every DT is unique, hand made pulls and beautiful choice of woods. I am as speechless as I can get. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
John, I merged your two threads and moved it to General Woodworking, although it really should be in Fine Woodworking :lol:

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome piece of work, John. All of those drawers. Boggles a newbies mind as to how long it wood take me!!!! Excellent dovetails and fit. And that mirror frame. Now that is something else again!

Oh ya! .....That vertical drawer is something I have never seen. What kind of runner is it riding on?

Every time I go back to your pics I have even more questions (ie the top... is it routed with the groove pattern or what?).

If you get a chance, I would like to hear more about the piece and how long it took you ... what with all of the drawers etc. etc.

Thanks for posting pictures of such a great piece!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wayne

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Unbelieveable...........simply gorgeous work there John.:icon_thum I can't imagine there being enough jewelery to fill that thing up. Your DTs and joinery all look fantastic.

D L

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I was also wondering about the top. it looks like it's been rabbeted together. Also, how did you make the pulls? Excellent work, I am humbled ! :icon_thum

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I can't fathom the planning/design work that went into that masterpiece, let alone the execution skill needed to pull it off.

I can't quite make out what's going on with the top. Oh, I love the contrasting color and symmetry of the mirror base/support.

Is this a commission piece?

Chuck

4yanks

New User
Willie
Wonderful piece. I found it humbling and inspiring. Please provide details of planning and construction. Not for copying, but to give us some idea of the scope of the project.

Oakwood

New User
John
I am overwhelmed by your comments. Thank You. Dave O, I appreciate your merging the messages for me.
The Jewelry Chest took about nine months to complete. I have a job, which is very inconvenient, so I work in my shop only on Saturdays. I am a Neanderthal woodworker since I enjoy working with handtools more than with power tools. I have power tools and use them, but prefer old fashioned hand work.

To answer some of the questions, the top is rabbatted down the middle because it flips open. The hinges are Sosse hinges and are therefore not visiable. The one key opens the top and all the drawers(this was a tough engineering problem to resolve).

The verticle drawer is for necklace storage and it runs on a maple sliding dovetail runner.

The dovetails are all hand cut and fit. The Honduran Rosewood on the drawer fronts is so hard it wore the teeth off one of my dovetail saws. If you look carefully you will notice my "dyslexia" set in and a couple of the drawers have dovetails that are cut and fit on the reverse. I guess after 18 dovetailed drawer fronts and backs I started seeing backwards.
The pulls are solid ebony and were cut and carved out of a solid block with a slight finger hollow on the underside. Each pull is dovetailed and glued into the front.
The case and is mortise and tennoned throughout including all the interior drawer runners and guides(There are 86 separate wood interior parts supporting the drawers and runners). There are no metal fasteners except for the hinges and some metal hooks and a spring for the drawer locks.
This was the first project in my new shop built in 2000. My wife deserved some consideration after supporting my decision to build a dedicated workshop. She likes it. I cannot afford to fill it. Its always something is'nt it?
Thanks again for your very kind words.
John

Oakwood

New User
John
Name: John
City: Harrisburg
County: Cabarrus

Re: Jewelery Chest,Cherry,Rosewood, Ebony
I am overwhelmed by your comments. Thank You. Dave O, I appreciate your merging the messages for me.
The Jewelry Chest took about nine months to complete. I have a job, which is very inconvenient, so I work in my shop only on Saturdays. I am a Neanderthal woodworker since I enjoy working with handtools more than with power tools. I have power tools and use them, but prefer old fashioned hand work.

To answer some of the questions, the top is rabbatted down the middle because it flips open. The hinges are Sosse hinges and are therefore not visiable. The one key opens the top and all the drawers(this was a tough engineering problem to resolve).

The verticle drawer is for necklace storage and it runs on a maple sliding dovetail runner.

The dovetails are all hand cut and fit. The Honduran Rosewood on the drawer fronts is so hard it wore the teeth off one of my dovetail saws. If you look carefully you will notice my "dyslexia" set in and a couple of the drawers have dovetails that are cut and fit on the reverse. I guess after 18 dovetailed drawer fronts and backs I started seeing backwards.
The pulls are solid ebony and were cut and carved out of a solid block with a slight finger hollow on the underside. Each pull is dovetailed and glued into the front.
The case and is mortise and tennoned throughout including all the interior drawer runners and guides(There are 86 separate wood interior parts supporting the drawers and runners). There are no metal fasteners except for the hinges and some metal hooks and a spring for the drawer locks.
This was the first project in my new shop built in 2000. My wife deserved some consideration after supporting my decision to build a dedicated workshop. She likes it. I cannot afford to fill it. Its always something is'nt it?
Thanks again for your very kind words.
John

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
man that is just wonderful, what a great gift for your wife, Im going to the drawing board to make something for my better half, what an inspiration. be blessed friend.

DavidF

New User
David
Lovely work Oakwood - your design or something you saw - it looks unique so i am guessing it came out of your own head?

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS