Installing a Dust Collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I have a small shop where I do small stuff and some turnings on the lathe. My question is I have a dust collector from HF, I know it isn't the best but at the price I could not pass it up. I want to remove the motor and impeller assy and mount it to the block wall to allow room for the chip separator. I plan on using HVAC duct (4" or 5" to the separator), can I mount the motor assy to the wall and not have vibrations that get amplified because of the block wall. I plan on mounting it to a plywood plate across the uprights where the wood rack is mounted to the wall

Does this sound suitable? the reason I want to mount it separate is due to space and keeping the separator on the platform where the motor was mounted making it easier to roll to the door to empty.
I would take pictures but it is cold in the shop and I am thinking ahead so when it warms up I will have a good idea as to the better way to improve things.

Thanks

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Do a search for "Phil Thein", and you will see several different separators based on his design, including mine. Look here at NC WW for "Another Vote for Phil Theins Baffle."

M

McRabbet

I would recommend you also upgrade the filter arrangement on the HF unit with the addition of a canister filter from Wynn Environmental. It will insure high quality filtration of fine particulates (99.99% of 0.5 micron particles) and it is not super expensive.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
another vision

you could certainly continue to "upgrade" your current system, but why not think further ahead and just go whole to the better system and get a cyclone? With a HF basic system and adding a bandaid and another there, seems to me to still be an inherently inferior system. No matter what you do, an HF system will always need improvement.

There are some cyclones on craigslist and on eBay. Cyclones also mount on the wall and after installing the system, you won't have to worry about it again. "upgrades" over. I was able to get a 3HP Penn State cyclone with a 1 micron filter and barrel and complete ducting for a really good price by just watching the ads, probably for less than half of what I would have spent on your system and its upgrades.

In my humble opinion, continuing to upgrade is for the birds, just do it right the first time and then forget it, especially for dust collection. For me time is precious, so I spend it working or turning wood, not messing with side issues.

Just my two cents.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Do a search for "Phil Thein", and you will see several different separators based on his design, including mine. Look here at NC WW for "Another Vote for Phil Theins Baffle."

+1 on that, thinking of venting outside as there is no one near me that would cause a problem

Thanks for the reminder

McRabbet said:I would recommend you also upgrade the filter arrangement on the HF unit with the addition of a canister filter from Wynn Environmental. It will insure high quality filtration of fine particulates (99.99% of 0.5 micron particles) and it is not super expensive.

Either that or as I mentioned might vent outside as I understand that will make a huge difference.

Guy in Paradise another vision
you could certainly continue to "upgrade" your current system, but why not think further ahead and just go whole to the better system and get a cyclone? With a HF basic system and adding a bandaid and another there, seems to me to still be an inherently inferior system. No matter what you do, an HF system will always need improvement.

You make a good point although I have a small shop and it is only used for hobby and fixing things around the house or somethings for others. So the dust collector would not be used several hours a day and maybe not for a few weeks at a time which is the main reason I did not consider a collector as you suggested.

Although you did make a good point as to upgrading which is why I have asked these questions and have gotten good ideas so far.

Thanks...other ideas as to my original question are welcome

Thanks
Dudelive

Trog777

New User
Trog
I vent outside. No filters to buy/clean. As long as you know where your air is being returned to the shop, IE: not down a stove pipe or something od=f that nature, it works great. As far as mounting the unit to the wall, I don't see why not. You could use some rubber spacers or matting if you're worried about vibration. I'd also check the pricing between the S&D PVC and the HVAC ducting. Depending on where you get it or the deal you find for each, it might be cheaper. No 5" in the PVC though.

Mikeprice11

New User
Michael
Hello,​

I'm not sure exactly what system you have from HF but I got a Delta Dust Collector that I picked up from Craigslist for $75. I, too, have a small shop measuring 10X10. I built my building with 8 ft walls so I have a lot of storage room up high that I try to use. I built a 3X10 loft in the back about 7 ft high. I removed the dust collector from its mobile base and cut a hole in the loft and mounted the dust collector in the corner of the building. It saved a lot of room and I wired it to a light switch which is near the buildings actual light switch so its very easy to turn on. I am not sure if this gave you any ideas but I thought I would throw it out there.​

IMG00052-20100303-1309_102_.jpg

ehpoole

Ethan
Just two thoughts on the subject:

1) That when exhausting outdoors, the sawdust/chips are highly flammable. Also, when moist (e.g. rain) they can compost generating enough heat to self-ignite if not regularly carted away (spontaneous combustion is usually a rare occurrance, but like oily rags ... it only takes once!).

2) Although many see dust collection as primarily a time saver come cleanup time, the real purpose of dust/chip collection is to protect one's respiratory health (and for some, protection from respiratory allergies/asthma). That means reliably collecting dust down to approximately 1 micron in diameter. This is even more critical when working with exotic (particularly African) hardwoods, as well as some common domestic irritants (cedar, redwood, spalted woods, etc.)

Whatever benefit we derive from a cleaner/neater shop is purely secondary to their function. Therefore, as with most things in the shop, always buy the best protection you can afford.

When setting up my shop a few years ago, a central dust collector (2HP JDS Cyclone) and an ambient air cleaner (JDS 750ER) where the very *first* two pieces of equipment I purchased. They were my number one priority both for my health AND to keep the dust out of our house (attached garage).

IMHO dust collection is a very good investment in both time and money. Others are welcome to differ!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would think that if you mount it directly to the wall you are going to get vibration. I suggest putting some kind of dampening material like rubber mats or something to help absorb it.

As for the HVAC, I see no issues with it as I use some myself. My recommendations are to use the largest size you can, and wherever you are going to have a 90 use two of the adjustable 90's instead of one so you can make the radius larger. Those tight radius HVAC 90's alone will rob your collector's suction big time.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I would think that if you mount it directly to the wall you are going to get vibration. I suggest putting some kind of dampening material like rubber mats or something to help absorb it.

As for the HVAC, I see no issues with it as I use some myself. My recommendations are to use the largest size you can, and wherever you are going to have a 90 use two of the adjustable 90's instead of one so you can make the radius larger. Those tight radius HVAC 90's alone will rob your collector's suction big time.

That's what I have been thinking is some sort of mounting that will absorb the vibrations.

I am going to use the largest size I can get that matches the intake at the impeller is my thinking and connect the separator to that mounted where the blower or suction was mounted.

dlrion

New User
Dan
I was at Charlies shop the other day, and noticed that he vents directly outside, he has a 3 or 4 foot high pile of sawdust where the pipes blow out of his shop, but I really have a hard time imagining them spontaneously combusting. In my opinion this is the ideal situation, because you have no mess to clean up, and it is literally a compost heap that just returns nature to nature.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was at Charlies shop the other day, and noticed that he vents directly outside, he has a 3 or 4 foot high pile of sawdust where the pipes blow out of his shop, but I really have a hard time imagining them spontaneously combusting. In my opinion this is the ideal situation, because you have no mess to clean up, and it is literally a compost heap that just returns nature to nature.
Termites, anyone?
Be careful letting sawdust pile up near your shop without adequate protection.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Termites, anyone?
Be careful letting sawdust pile up near your shop without adequate protection.

I was thinking of that as well.....might as well be sure it is NOT allowed on the ground. Then the separator can collect the chips and the dust would still be food for termites....maybe not a good idea unless there is a way to keep it off the ground and away from the shop as you mentioned.

Thanks Dennis
Dudelive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS